Hair length

steve333

Good morning all,only a week now before my 1st season as a carp angler so it's rig making/hooklength tying day today in preperation for my 1st session.Got the Fox rig video which explains in detail how to tie most basic rigs but still not sure when it comes to getting the hair right on a basic knotless knot hooklength.The 2 lakes i will be fishing most of the season are both very silty so i will be fishing light(1oz)running leads with a small flying backlead,3ft of tungsten tubing & at the business end 21/2ft of uncoated braid finished of with a small stick(with the braid pulled through with a baiting needle & the hook pushed up to the bottom of the stick so as to hopefully slow down everything so it settles on the silt,due to the length of the hooklength i know i will need to tighten up & pull back a couple of foot once the rig hits bottom to straighten everything out before slackening off as i intend fishing slack lines).Sorry to go on a bit but want to make sure i give as much detail about my intended rigs to hel;p give you a clear picture of what i'm trying to achieve,if i fish a single 14mm pop up critically balanced with a shot on the hair how do i get the hair length right & also,if i want to try a snowman rig on the other rod with 14mm baits how do i get the hair right for that rig?(appologies again if i've gone on a bit & confused anyone!)

Exactly.

Then think about your rigs and check wherever you hook a Carp. If its hooked at the front of the lip, or you get hookpulls, the Hair or rig length is probably too short. If the Hook has scraped down the Carp's mouth from back to front then the Rig/hair length is too long.

The perfect rig and hair length is when the Carp is hooked almost exactly in the centre of the mouth just behind the lip.

Again, there is no absolute right or wrong answer for this question.

But personally, I like to have about 5mm between the "Top" of the Bait and the "Bottom" of the hook bend.

Ergo... You need to adjust the length of your hair to accomadate the various bait sizes you're using. But that's just me. :wink:

If that makes sense.