Helicopter setup?

Carp123_0

Hi lads I joined a new venue and it has sandy brown silt I don't really no how deep it is in places but what's your advice on helicopter setup I have been catching fish off the new venue of normal leadclip setup with longer rig with some foam on when casting out with a 2oz lead , I would say the silt is probably 6-7 inches in the worst places

I have to agree with CM, If your catching why change

A multi rig would work fine with a helicopter setup, have your current catches been on pop ups :?: 

Another thing to remember the helicopter rig generally doesn't leave the rig lying how most people think :wink: the rig generally lies parallel to the lead.  But like CM said if your catching then you must be presenting bait already 

To me it doesn't make sense to switch mate at the minute, if your bottom baits start coming back tinted the colour of the silt or smelling rank then i would look at switching, but until the keep reaping the rewards :) and just keep the helicopter idea for if the above starts happening.  

If this is the case I would switch as the weather starts warming up if its not doing it at the minute then I would stay as you are for now.  With regards to switching to a pop up I would keep it as low as possible but thats a personal opinion.

If your not fishing to far out a little tip for your boilies, try hydrating your baits before you use them to the point they will not take anymore liquid on board it stops them taking on the stink silt smell  :wink:

Edited by hutch

If your usual lead set-up is catching then why change it?

Even then, as it is working at the moment, I wouldn't think to change the way I attached my lead, but more tweak and fine tune the rig if I stopped catching.

If you need to cast further, to maximum distance, then I may consider switching to a helicopter lead, but I don't particularly like them any other time.

Saying what everyone has said, but, if it's working why change it.

That said, and in the vein of answering your actual question, I use a multi-rig every time I use a pop up, and that will either be on a helicopter rig or a lead clip depending on the lake bed. If I'm not 100% sure it's a hard base, it's a helicopter. If I'm aiming at a small spot and may miss, it's a helicopter! If it's silty, weedy, choddy, it's a helicopter. :D I find the dark matter leaders with the no trace bead system very good. It's the only setup I use a leader for rather than tubing. Needs must. Rig foam, hmm, yes. I love the fact that it sits bolt upright until it melts off then drifts down, and I like a target for baiting too when it floats up, but with a multi rig I find sometimes the foam causes a tangle. Not with a bottom bait rig though, strange. Anyway I feel that as the lead sinks the rig slips up to the top bead anyway, so it'll be well clear of the deck when the lead plugs and therefore sink nicely into position. Good enough for me. Personally I find a flying back lead, and often a normal back lead under the tip, fished with a light bobbin and a fairly tight mono mainline gives a nice sensitive and well on the deck presentation and bite indication. I'm not so keen on flourocarbon and slacks with a helicopter. "Drop backs" when the fish pulls the lead out of the silt are key to knowing you've had a take and getting on the rod quickly.