TUBING!!!!

Hi Alex welcome to the forum. There was an interesting thread on here with the arguments for and against using tubing on your mainline. (When i find it i will post it up).

I have caught fish using tubing on my mainline and without using it and there will be a lot of anglers saying that its best to use it cos it protects the fish more cos it will stop the mainline lifting up and removing any scales. I Have not seen any evidence of this fact..... yet, but i do prefer to use tubing though cos i dont want to risk it in the first place.

Im sure you have seen it when you have been playing a fish yourself, the carp are twisting all over the place and sometimes ive seen the line wrap around a pec and ping off. If that was bare mainline im sure you will agree that its not good becuse it could cut into the fin.

So i always use 12" lengths of rig tube now (the Korda khaki coloured one) and put a half gram blob of Heavy Metal at the end and in the middle to weigh it down so lays flat on the lake bed (so i hope).

I hope that helps mate.

And as for using an inline or swivel lead well the only rules i follow is that if you are absolutely sure your lead is on a hard, clean bottom then inlines are the ones to go for. But if you are fishing over a very light thin covered silt bottom or soft clay then swivel leads are the ones to use. The swivel lead will land in this stuff possibly even covering the lead completely but it will still give you a good presentation.

If you used an inline in soft stuff it could plug into the lake bed with your hooklink looping up and making your end tackle stick out like a sore thumb.