Carp Reflections - Paul Selman

hnv

As the title suggests this book is very much a memoir type of book. Indeed the sub-heading of the book is "The chronicle of fifteen years of fishing for carp" and is largely written about waters in the north west although does include some southern water chapters such as Harefield and Darenth Tip Lake.

It is a lovely, well written book by an author who is very underrated in my opinion.

The book is full of humorous anecdotes and descriptions of fellow anglers that Paul meets along the way (the "stroke pulling" chapter had me in fits of laughter). There are also some really good technical pieces and though a bit "old hat" now (it is a memoir, after all) a lot of the methods described are still valid today.

The illustrations in the book are top-drawer - really good. Especially those depicting the lakes being fished and some of the funnier bank-side episodes that Paul has witnessed.

If you like reading this sort of "memory lane" carp fishing book, as I do, then this is the book for you. An excellent and compelling read that is really funny at times. Highly recommended.