medeterranian beach casting

nathanhuynh

after a holiday to southern france I have seen that in the coast there sooo many fish about. As a carp angler I know practicaly nothing about beach casting or what rigs to use or what fish to catch or what bait to use in southern france, all I have is a pair of beachcasters, a barbel rod stand and a pair of beach caster reels loaded with salt water braid. anybody know what they are talking about with sea fishing or with fishing in southern france from the sea, also what fish can be caught...thankyou

Most of my mates and I beach cast. We have no Tides so we either fish Dusk, Dawn, or all day sometimes. Depending on the time of year we get decent Bream, and a type of Trevalli (Dont know the English name). I would try to vary you casting distances, from very short right upto long. I have caught good bream on very short casts as well as very long !!! Try and source out localy used bate, I use local Lug or Rag worm or small baby squid. There my favorate, but there are lots here that fish livebait for the preditor species. I have never had much succes with spinnig here, but I have a mate that gets good Barracuda in out local port. But not often. If you get a chance to go out on a boat do it. I dont get much chance but at certain times (NOW) we get good schools of Tuna and Travali(Mainly offshore 3mile or so) but sometimes close in too. My best advice is to source the fishing area very well. Look for features such as rocks reefs, and fish nearby. Its inportant to think hard over here, It may look all nice for swiming and lovely blues but we have much less fish here than in the UK. Do some scouting and try and ask around or watch the locals. If you get really bored do what I do, Go in search of the MONSTER mullet in the ports, Bread flake is good, and its a right good laugh on ultra light tackle...

Here you go mate this is a post i found on another forum, and what this fella says is about right, i at times do a lot of beach fishing on the southcoast and abroad, as far as rigs are concerned for these speices you can just use a simple one up one down rig or as its commonly known a two hook flapper rig , nice and easy to tie, or just use a simple running rig, baits can be any thing fishy , buy and oil fish from the market and cut in to strips or hunt for various shells or limpets from rock pools , for catching sea bream and trevelli you need a smallish hook and i would go for a size 1 longshanks

Hope this helps abit

Rob

only one slight problem :oops: I don't speak any french :( TYPICAL! 3 languages none of which are french, last time I went to a french tackle shop the owners just looked at me like I was mad :lol: in the end my dad came up with pale' vu ongle'...I kept hoping one would get the english gist and/or speak german!