blackthorn fishery oswestry

• 1 month later...
hi all,

has anyone fished blackthorn fishery? thinking of trying it out this year. has anyone got any useful tip for rig, bait etc.

thanks!!!

Nice lake! Not easy, and only a few years old but still lovely. Very remote, making it nice and peaceful, with some cracking fish! Facilities are good too! Pegs are huge, nice loos and stuff, and the owner knows his stuff, and the lake like the back of his hand so very helpful.

Pop ups and snowman baits seem to be doing well. There's a good FB page with some under water videos and a "tour" of the lake.

Recommended if its your thing, it's certainly mine! Not a big old mature estate lake, but a great place with upper 20s and not to daunting. Some nice under water features to find with a marker float too.

This place is going to be a regular haunt of mine this year while I'm looking for a good syndicate. Might see you there. :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that mate, i've seen there Facebook page and videos. it looks a nice fishery and well looked after, some really nice fish too. can't wait to try it out and will be there quite a lot over the summer, will probable see you on the banks soon. thanks again mate.

just my opinion but what it costs for session on blackthorne you can go down the road and buy season ticket and fish for sum proper carp. As for it bin difficult depends what your idea of difficult is ! depends what you after though i soppose. not my idea of carp fishin but each to there own! keep it simple and you will catch em!

just my opinion but what it costs for session on blackthorne you can go down the road and buy season ticket and fish for sum proper carp. As for it bin difficult depends what your idea of difficult is ! depends what you after though i soppose. not my idea of carp fishin but each to there own! keep it simple and you will catch em!

Yep, all valid points. By difficult I kind of meant due to the fact that it's winter and the fish hold up deep and aren't moving around much, or for long in a day. I had one the other week when no-one else did, like you say, keep it simple, find the right spot. I imagine in summer the only thing stopping them chucking themselves on the bank is the amount of bait that will be going in!

It's hard to find accessible waters that offer more to be honest. There's a nice one near me in Church stretton which is day ticket but offers a bit more of a challenge, and some very nice fish up to 30s if you can get them! and there's the a localish club with some ok waters. Problem with them for me is that being in the middle of a town, and being club waters they're all a bit, well, unkept. Not that that affects the fish in the lake, but I walked around a water the other day just for a look, and I couldn't find a swim that wasn't full of beer cans, broken bottles and bits of old tackle hanging from trees. Just my opinion but I'd rather pay my money and catch stockies until a syndicate comes up, which I am desperately hopeful of for next year! :)