snell knot

muscle20

was wanting to try some stiff link rigs instead of chods so got on the old youtube . found mr hearns on there and liked his use of the snaell knot on the hook end.dont know if it was because i was only using size 10 choddy hooks (as opposed to his 4s) but it was not easy.any one else use this knot rather than the knotless ? was using ultima 22lb powerstiff but it was very easy to mark it when pulling up knots etc. what do you use for your stiff/choddy hool link.

Snail? :lol::lol::lol:

Snell knot :wink:

There is a Knot tying sticky with knot links at the header page of the forum, but this is the Snell knot direct:

http://www.animatedknots.com/snell/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

thanks.

done a bit of editing to original post. watchd the link you put on and he does it different. havnt worked out yet if its the same. it also looks the same as what "dan" calls the whipping knot , but the way he holds it it looks far easier and ill try it next.

Glad you know I was teasing :wink:

It does sound like snail if you aren't sure whats being said.

Must confess I very rarely use hooks smaller than a size 4, although with pop-ups I do often use a D-rig on a size 8 straight shank hook.

I do sometimes use a hinged rig set-up, normally 15lb Amnesia or Preston Reflo Powerline mono and I do a knotless knot then put the ring on the tag end, force that tag back through the eye to create the D, then lighter tag the end to stop it pulling out.

For stiff rigs I go back to 15 or 20lb Amnesia, a 2 or 3 turn blood knot and then tie on a supple hair, although I have used it with a KK. I found with the KK and stiff hair I lost a few fish, so switched back to the supple hair, but I wasn't fishing over a bed of bait at the time.

Would the Multi Rig hook set-up work for you?

Can be used with a coated or uncoated braid.

I use a knot which is similar to the snell, but as I used it originally for spade end hooks, I don't pass the end through the eye twice so hook size shouldn't be a problem; I've used it down to size 32 (yes smaller than 26!) Should point out not using 20lb line :shock:

Basically, I form a loop, and align it along the shank (between the shank and hook bend) whip the loop around the shank around eight times, then pull the end (after wetting) to tighten the knot. I found that once you wet the knot, if you tighten it too much before moving it up to the end of the hook (spade or eye) you cannot move the whipping.

This was how I first made hairs. I've no idea what the knot is called, but it works for me.

I use a knot which is similar to the snell, but as I used it originally for spade end hooks, I don't pass the end through the eye twice so hook size shouldn't be a problem; I've used it down to size 32 (yes smaller than 26!) Should point out not using 20lb line :shock:

Basically, I form a loop, and align it along the shank (between the shank and hook bend) whip the loop around the shank around eight times, then pull the end (after wetting) to tighten the knot. I found that once you wet the knot, if you tighten it too much before moving it up to the end of the hook (spade or eye) you cannot move the whipping.

This was how I first made hairs. I've no idea what the knot is called, but it works for me.

Might be the Domhoff knot?

This might explain it:

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/how-to/Coarse-fishing-advice/Fishing-Knots/How-to-tie-the-Domhoff-fishing-knot/

The term "snelling" refers to whipping around the hookshank. The Domhof, spade end and knotless knots are all snell type knots.

I got a little stocking filler book at Christmas, it's quite good: "The complete book of fishing knots, leaders and lines". It's aimed at US game anglers but has some good stuff for carpers.

Anyway, It says: "Snelling is a word that was first used in print in the US in 1893... with reference to 'well made, securely wrapped, double-snelled Aberdeen bend hooks". It just goes to show that there is little that is "new" in angling...