Swival, or rig end leader knot.

qpr

Hi everyone!

Been fishing for a few years, and until now i diddnt feel the need to use a shockleader. But now i need to cast about 110 yards to a graval patch surrounded by silt using a 3oz-3.5oz lead.

My question is, what is a good knot to use to tie the leader to the rig swival?, cant find any posts on this (all bout attaching the leader to the mainline). Another question is i have been told to cut the leader down to size so on the cast there is approximatly 5 turns on the spool but surely after a few sessions of tying and cutting off the rig end knot of the leader a certain amount of leader material will be lossed then surely there will no longer be "approximatly 5 turns of leader material on the spool", and perhaps none at all resulting in a crack off!! Is there anyway of avoiding this? or do you just have to replace the whole leader every few sessions? when it gets to short.

My leader material is Korda Xtough in 30lb strain tied to 12lb mono.

Thanks in advance much appriciated!

Cheers, Ben

[edited to remove link]

Hi Mate,

thread here on Shockleaders, may give some advice:https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25357&highlight=shock+leader+knot, including Good Safe Shockleader Knot.

Use a Standard Knot for attaching the swivel to the hooklink, although you may need to have a play around with the best number of turns to suit you. Amnesia and Greased Weasel both tie best with a Blood Knot, but CHECK AND TEST THEM Before you cast. If you need to change the Hooklink, just cut it off at the swivel rather than cutting the Shockleader! :roll::wink:

That way you won't need to keep cutting and replacing the Shockleader

nice idea then i wont have to cut either it'll make the presentatation a bit worse with a swival and a link though. Ill give it a go spose i wont use leaders all the time either il use a different spool for close range work. Thanks mate thats what ill do!

Ben

Why dont you use a kwik link to join your hooklength onto the swivel?

Theory is Good, but in practice I like to keep the Lead as close to the Rig as possible. The additional hinge that you create could give the Carp enough leeway to eject the rig :wink: