River wensum between costessey and hellesdon mill

bean123

Hi all anybody know of carp being caught between costessey mill and hellesdon mill please any info much appreciated? Thanks

There have been carp caught between Costessey and Hellesdon for years :wink:

Anglian Water Fish Farm was on the mill at Hellesdon, and years ago when the river flooded fish escaped from the farm into the river.

Green Lanes used to be the area they sort of holed up, shallows and deeps within a very short section of river.

Years ago John Wilson wrote about having 4 bites in an evening, a 2lb roach, a 4 or 5lb chub, a double figure barbel and a double figure carp was the result. I know the exact swim that he took it from as well, although the fallen tree that made up one of the features is no longer there.

hellsdon mill has had a big transformation this season with them making the mill pool more fishable with them taking a few trees out to make it possible to get a few rods in the mill without wading out,, can be a very low stretch though some days a few cm just below pool, never seen any fish out with all the people i seen fishing it apart from a 2lb perch from the pool. ive had some small pike out in snowing conditions, keep thinking about trying for a chub or barbel from this stretch, put alot time in as have moved close to here. have seen a 20lb+ carp abit further down from here swimming on top in the middle of summer, i know a very good swim for carp in middle city it is a busy swim but if up early enough can get it, but i have personally seen carp to 26lb from there eels to 6lb bream 10lb chub to 4lb,, have seen the pike called the big lady no more then 30cm from the bank which is nearly hitting 30lb. all this is from the steps swim just below the city from john wilsons old shop,,, the carp love cheese lumps down there!! and eels too which is the down fall, also late evening to the back building the chud take dog biscuits nicely. hope this helps abit.

Could some one shed some light on were this green lane area is as i know costessey and hellesdon well but I am unsure where you mean ??

PM if you like ?

Ian

From Drayton drive towards Hellesdon up the back road. I'll let you work out where Green Lanes is exactly. :wink:

Pikewise at Hellesdon Mill I found the mouth of the incoming river Tud better than the Mill pool. I did also manage a number of brown trout from the actual mill pool itself.

As for the Carp around the city stretches from Anglian Water to around Dolphin Bridge; SSSHHH!