Tubing

carpmaestro

I see a lot of rigs have tubing. Here's a few questions on necessity and uses.

I understand shrink tubing for line aligning the hook with the hair. My questions are about them...

1. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being basically just for looks, 10 being as necessary as line) how necessary is a line aligner

2. Can i use rig tubing to align?

3. How should I prepare the shrink tubing if necessary?

4. On what rigs is it most necessary?

Rig Tubing

1. What's the point?

2. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being basically just for looks, 10 being as necessary as line) how necessary is rig tubing?

3. How should I prepare the shrink tubing if necessary?

4. On what rigs is it most necessary?

And what brands are best for both?

Btw: I'm planning on 16 lb main and 8-10 lb leader/hooklink.

As always thanks for the help!

You don't need rig tubing and a leader.

Depending on where you are fishing, do you even need a leader?

Are you casting massive distances or is the venue snaggy?

Shrink tube for hook links basically increases the hook shank and creates a kick for better hooking/presentation.

As for what's best? They're all the same in my opinion except some come weighted or even wire threaded so it's easier to put on.

Also try the search facility there are hundreds of threads about leaders and tubing.

Guest Anonymous

I don't use shrink tubing on the hook as I believe it's unnecessary and just another optional extra out there to catch the angler, fish have been caught before on standard hair rig set ups.

I have used rig tubing in the past to pin line down and to protect the fish, very safe compared to leadcore/plastic leaders, but that's a whole new topic...

In my opinion mate, if you don't need to add more components to the rig then don't, keep it as simple as you can :wink:

Quite simply, NONE of the tubing items to which you refer are necessary.

A well tied hook will be at least as effective as a hook with a line aligner and sometimes the latter can close the gape of the hook and reduce its ability to take hold.

Rig tubing was introduce to reduce tangles when we started using braided hook links. It DOES NOT protect the fish from being damaged when mono or fluoro main line is being used. Where exactly would you fit it when floater or zig rig fishing?

• 3 weeks later...

There's 2 sorts of tubing. Shrink tube for hooks which widen the gape of the hook (not always needed) and anti tangle tube as its also known which helps pin the line from rod tip to lead, and is also believed to help protect fish scales during the fight.

Now I personally use both, not because they look good but if use correctly can improve your catch rate.

Now I'm not saying the anti tangle protects the fishes scales and without it you'll harm the carp, but I feel it cant hurt to have a little xtra protection..... but its a real pin to thread on.

Also if buying shrink tubing make sure you buy the right bore for the hooks ur using

More than 2 types of tubing, as you have also forgotten the joys of plain ordinary silicon tubing that can be used on hooks, often faster and easier than using shrink tube, especially if you are tying up rigs on the bank :wink:

I also use shrink and silicon tubing on the hooks to create line aligners, which I have confidence in, and although they may be easy, sometimes a standard knotless knotted hook does not catch hold, so the line aligner can be useful.

If I can get away with it, I would be quite happy fishing without Anti-Tangle tubing on the mainline, although I'm confident in its use, as a bit of extra protection against snags and gravel rub.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35896