Adjustable Zig-rig advice

brighton_carper

Is there anything in this thread for you?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34983

On the occasions I use Zig rigs I use a clear Submerged Pike float.

So from the mainline I put on the lead on a removable run ring, a rubber bead the submerged pike float and then the hooklink.

With a 30centimetre hooklink I can then go up or down in from bottom to top or vice versa increments until hopefully I find the fish.

Fox also do an adjustable Zig rig set up

Would I definitely need a submerged float? In my slightly confused mind i was thinking of just using floating line and setting it up as you would with a marker float.

Depends on whether your hookbait is buoyant enough to pull the line through a run ring :wink:

Thanks,

Looks like a bit of midweek experimentation at a local runs water might be in order. So, if I was using a submerged float, what distance would you have between hook and float. Someone said 30cm, but that’s like a ruler length. I would have thought with that short length it might spook the fish?

I use the Fox adjustable zig kit for the for fishing zigs in lake areas deeper than 9ft.

Once the adjustable kit is set up as per the diagram on the back of the packet, i use a hooklink of between 2-3ft.

On setting up after cast, I prefer to reel in to get contact with the lead, as you would when feeling the bottom with a marker float.

Then put the rod on your rod rests and alarm, then pay out line 1ft at a time (two pieces of tape on you rod 12" apart work a treat) to set the depth.

For Example:

You are fishing a area of your venue that is 12ft deep.

The float is 12"long and the hooklink is 2ft long, and you want to start at approx 3/4 of the depth so you are 3ft under the surface.

Then with the setup above being 3ft long you will have to pay out 6ft of line so the bait is sitting 9ft above the bottom but 3ft down from the surface.

I personally start at approx 3/4 depth and either pay out line or reel some in every 30mins to find what depth they are feeding at and then set that in your mind every time you cast out. This certainly makes it easer changing depths without retying a rig..

It might sound complicated but can be a awesome technique once mastered...

x2 Top tips is to use a PVA nugget around the hook and hookbait to avoid tangling and hold the rig up whilst adjusting. And use a line floatant like Mucilin to help the hooklink line float better.

Hope that helps.... Tight Lines

http://www.foxint.com/catalogues-products.php?lang=e&product=2247&catalogue=1&section=1

Thanks,

Looks like a bit of midweek experimentation at a local runs water might be in order. So, if I was using a submerged float, what distance would you have between hook and float. Someone said 30cm, but that’s like a ruler length. I would have thought with that short length it might spook the fish?

Hence my choice for a clear submerged float :wink:

The bait is well above the float even with only 30cms. I use that short a length so that I can eradicate tangles, any longer and really whacking it out any distance and a longer hooklink can be a right pain to cast.

The other thing is that for hooklinks I often use a fluorocarbon hooklink, which sinks, so too long a hooklink may actually drag the hook and bait down.

On the occasions I decide to go any longer I've found I need to be casting the hooklink out of a bucket or off the ground or unhooking mat, just don't let the hook snag up when you cast :wink:

I've done a copy and pste onto the linked thread ealier in the topic :wink: