Bristol City Carping

Hi everyone,

I've started carping over the summer in Cheshire but I'm wondering where I will be able to carry on angling when I get back to Uni in Bristol?

I don't drive, so somewhere close to Redland in Bristol (Walking or Cycling distance) would be great! Even better if it's free! :D

Are there any stretches of canal that are decent? I was thinking possibly the Avon, or Bristol Docks? As I've heard these hold carp, if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful! I'm not after anyone's swims or anything like that!

Many Thanks,

yaffle

Unless you're fishing a private lake, the sea or estuary then theres no such thing really as free fishing. Most rivers and canals are owned by the local angling associations that will charge you between £30-£50 for a years ticket which is great vale for money given the mileage of water you have access too. There will be stretches of the river that owned privately so fish these at your peril, especially those on farmland where some farmers will happily let you know the have a big 'ol shot gun as they move you on

If you do wanna fish for 'free' then travel light and don't take your best gear in case you need to down tools and hot foot it, after all some people get a bit touchy when you're poaching their salmon beats*

*Carp.com does not condone poaching albeit good fun

Thanks Mr Devon,

I'm not into guesting, I always fish legally. So does anyone know who controls the fishing rights on the Bristol Avon + Docks as well as local canals?

What's the situation regarding fishing from parks owned by the council?

Thanks,

yaffle

• 3 weeks later...

Hi yaffle,

I can provide a bit of information, been finding the same out myself recently, looking for cheaper than day tickets.

The docks between the marina and the cottage pub is free fishing, just have to see the harbour master (office just past the cottage pub). There's an open match there every Thursday, run by someone from the Bristol Angling Centre.

St George's and Eastville parks are again free fishing, although St George's has from what I can find out, not a good relationship between anglers and other users of the park. Eastville park used to be an area where you didn't want being there near dark, but that was when I lilved over that side of the city about 15yrs ago.

I think there another lake but can't remember it, maybe snuff mills? not sure.

If you don't mind joining a club then Alcove Angling has a lake in fishponds (great name for an area :) ), used to be a quarry then swimming lake. They also have a lake between downend and yate, and two others by earthcott. I belong to it and although there's over 300 members, you wouldn't know it when you get to the lakes, most I've seen is about 5 other people when I go on a weekend with the kids.

Henlease swimming club (Featured on Robson Green's wild swimming) shares their lake with anglers ( 2 thirds to anglers during the summer, whole lake oct - april), but membership only accepted in Janurary/Feburary.

There's also Ham Green lake in Pill, day ticket, but also has a members only lake. Think it's easily reachable by bike as the bike trail goes past it. It been getting some good reports lately, I think they cleared the weed.

Hope this gives you hope.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...