MOORLAND FISHERIES 2011 CATCH REPORT

moorsey

Unbelievable fishing keith! I cannot wait to get out again, but like the other boys, I'll have to wait until next year I think.

Hope all is well with the family too, catch you soon mate.

Lewis

It will be good to see you again mate.

Next year is filling fast now mate. Amazing how some big carp generate lots of new interest LOL.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Just to keep you all in the picture, we have now seen 96 forties banked already this year [that's on top of the 24 fifties] so we hope to see 50 fifties and at least 150 forties by the end of October and then we can carry out another vidange in order to re-balance the biomass.

Can't wait to see some "proper'uns" in 2012 LOL.

Keith

I hope Keith that as also 1 of the old school and more recognised and established fisheries in France you will respectively respond to this comment and treat it in the context that it is presented. I have been reading your comments on this and other forums over the past 3 months and these days I choose or am forced not to reply (on 1 forum anyway), on this occasion and forum that I am invited to post, I am really interested in why you have again mentioned you are trying to remove fish to improve the biomass? Yes I and most other fishery operators know that a lake will only support so many fish and although we would all like to operate a lake full of really big fish, in my opinion if the smaller male fish are removed this can only lead to more fatalities to the larger female fish during the spawning months. I can't exactly remember and quote a comment that you wrote a couple of years ago, though at the time I did think it wasn't a bad idea, sure it was to do with removing the smaller male fish, I never tried to do that, but now I do think that if I had, it would have been a big mistake!! Spawning casualties have been on the increase (in my area) over the last couple of years and that includes my own venue, even though I have never removed any of the carp, perhaps you have carp that breed and the small carp survive, something that doesn't happen here due to the stock of pike, perch, grebes and carp eating their offspring. I do not profess to be an expert as a fishery manager, just 1 of the fortunate few to be doing it, so I am really interested in more info? We haven't always seen eye to eye, but on this occasion perhaps an informative conversation would be useful.

Hi Dave

We removed the small males in order to reduce the "frenzy" at spawning when it was common to see 7 males attached to one large female and the damage caused was horrendous. Since then we haven't lost a single fish at spawning time but we do still see numerous fry survive so our regular vidanges look as though they will need to continue into the future unfortunately. In fact, this year we want to remove most of the catfish to allow the perch and bass to multiply.

Keith

Cheers for that Keith, perhaps I should do the opposite here then and introduce more male fish as the past couple of years I have had spawning casualties and perhaps the proportion of male to female carp needs readdressing. Have a good year!!