Strawberry Lake Hannington, Northants

bowza

Morning , I fished this lake yesterday morning, and blanked

It is a 65 yard square sided pit dug to supply water for the farmers fields , not sure how old but would guess some 15-20 years

it feels deep a sign said 16 foot but could be more, no marker float to measure , ill have one next time,

I have seen the carp on the surface last year, so I know there are a fair few in there, and there are lots of silver fish also,

yesterday I put out a bed of hemp and corn, with maggots mixed in , i then tried one rod with maize the other with a maggot clip,

I was getting single nocks on the maggot clip rod , but put this down to posible silver fish, is this a correct assumption,

on the maize i had what i feel to be a line bite, my line was sitting on a section of ice about 8 feet out then dropping down sharply to the deeper water.

this is not going to put me off this venue, as I have seen fish, and I have seen what I hope are feeding trails of bubbles, the swim I chose was based on these bubbles as I stood on the bank looking for movement. shame these where on the edge of the ice.

ok to my question , anyone know any stock details , and with the depth of water using a marker float set up how would i find if it is weedy an any places, as to me a new carper it feels like a large muddy bowl.

thanks

Bowza

Guest keenook

Hi Bowza,

The quick sharp pulls could be silvers, what type of lead set-up are you useing?

As for the depth, why not cast around a marker float? The other option would be leading around and feeling the lead down, and counting, this will not show the depth but will show up any variations in the depth and also is there is any weed present, happy hunting!

Thanks keenook,

Cough cough erm , i still not got around to getting Marker float, next time I am close to a tackle shop I'll go in just for that.

I did drag a lead around on my spodrod a few other swims to try and get a feel, it just dragged back without any feeling on snags or gravely areas.

thanks again

Bowza

• 2 weeks later...

I know the pool quite well, used to floater fish it in the summer evenings for something to do.

I know that about 6-7 years ago a bit of the stock was removed ad some of the bigger fish too which was done by stanwick lakes and the fish went into elsons roman and mallard. There is still a good stock of fish there and the last time i fished it was winter about 5 years ago for the day. I found the fish were at about 5-6 foot and had a fish late in the day on a zig. I fished the main flat bank and found the fish huddled together in the car park corner of the lake where its shallower.

• 1 year later...

I dont think there are any weedy sections in there. Not that I have seen anyway. To the best of my knowledge it is all pretty much the same clay type material as the banks.

Except the corner furthest from the car park in between the out jutting tree and the over hanging trees. This area seems to be very rocky and is usually covered in debris and chod (use of carping term :)) from the tree fall.

Incidentaly this corner is were I have seen the majority of the larger carp come out as well as the corner that coops pointed out.

I have also recently blanked there a few time in this colder period and am determined to get back there again as it is my most local water. Any idea what the state of the surface is at the moment? Ice etc.

Unlike coops, I have never caught on a zig but always do fairly well on the float. About 4-6 foot down as I have noticed a lot of them seem to cruise the mid levels about 10ft out ish.

Probably all useless info but I wanted to get my 2cents worth.

Best of luck

hi mate, ive been fishing here bout 20years now, that makes me feel old :oops: the corner your on about is where i had my pb, 22lb mirror. nice little pond but not sure what fish are in there anymore? Alot of the bigger ones got moved i believe. best way to fish this pond, in my experience, is to fish the margins. Always done better on meat and cheese as opposed to boilies etc. Also this lake can be great fun in the warmer months, getting them off the top. towards the evening they become suicidal! They will take anything off the top! :D