France in late feb

krafty

My best advice for you would be to draw up a list of 5 fisheries that could cater for you in February & try and make sure they are fairly spread around France ie Limousin, Brittany, Pays de la Loire, Champagne etc. DONT book any of them but ring them up in the week leading upto your dates and speak to each owner/bailiff regarding the weather there & if the lakes are frozen or not. Then make your choice & book your ferry.

You do not want the expense of a ferry & a journey (& lost deposit or balance) to a venue that is frozen or otherwise unfishable.

I am not sure I would consider the Champagne region as a suitable area at the end of February. We used to open at the beginning of March but the cold conditions usually resulted in the lake being frozen or when it was fishable very few fish were caught. In the past few years we haven't opened the lake until the beginning of April, something that a fair number of other venues have followed suit. I think Western France would be a safer bet if you really want to go in February.

Due to depth of our lake and the fact it is sheltered by cliffs we very rarely freeze.But make no mistake fishing in Feb is going to be hard no matter where you go but it is possable to get a fish or two for the week. As Mrsrusheslake said have a few options and phone the lake a week before and book then no one will be busy in Feb so you should be able to get in somewhere. We at Carpquarry would do a day rate of £25/person/24 hours and pay when you get here so you dont loose out on deposits.We would just hold a cash deposit when you were here and return to you on leaving.