Bait boat Help or hinder

carpnovice

hi guys im due to go to france in late september and i was wondering does a bait boat help or hinder or does good old spodding work better

i have always spodded where ever i go but the lake im due to go to says that a bait boat is an advantage

I have never used abait boat as i always saw it as a form of cheating and the fact that with the boats help you can place ur hookbait right on top of ur free offering

but with this do you still get the same assurance that ur rigs are not taggled or if there are straight i just dont know so if anybody has any thought or can help then please do

:? [/b]

I don't think you can generalise on this subject, some lakes in France produce more fish to traditional methods than using baitboats or spodding. The best advice is to ask the owner about the most productive methods on his lake, you can either then accept the advice or do your own thing, but remember that the owner knows his venue better than any visiting angler and you only have a week there to achieve the best result. I have seen on a lot of occasions people ignoring advice and sadly blanking! Not all lakes react well to heavy baiting and the anglers worry about bait presentation after casting is really a confidence thing. I would prefer to fish with a cast bait on a silty (but not too silty) lake knowing that the fish feed in the silt rather than use a bait boat to drop the bait on top of the silt, if you think about it, why do the majority of fish in France get caught on bottom baits rather than pop-ups or snowmen rigs?

In my view if you are only there for a week you need all the help you can get and if that means cheating a bit with a baitboat then go for it. If the lake / swim that you are fishing has trees/bushes to fish to on an island or far bank you are better of with a boat where you could get it under the overhanging trees which would be impossible to cast under if its at any sort of range.