The Riddings Specimen Pool

Afternoon all,

Had a good look round the pool last night and am going to book up a couple of pegs for me and my mate.

Can any of the regulars offer any advice please? I quite liked the look of pegs 1,2,9 and 10 (Since found out 9 and 10 are upto 11ft deep, so now a little unsure) Out of them which would you go for? Or can you recommend another peg which tends to fish better than the others?

Also are there any particular methods that are fishing well? I'll take a good selection of bait, but can anyone tell me if there are any favourites at the minute? :D

Cheers

Matt

Peg 10 is usually pretty much booked out, so you can imagine how hot it is. The fact that its the last peg and shielded by the islands tells you why. If you can get on it, I'd suggest you do so. You can walk a bait right along the margin and drop right on the fish. The first couple of pegs are also good too for a fish or two.

Strategy wise, I don't know....zigs maybe? I don't know how warm it is up there but where I am is quite humid and the carp are well up in the water. I certainly would'nt go in with lots of bait, as its not a big lake and the fish are quite clued up. Not uncatchable, but well used to seeing plenty of bait go in.

Booked pegs 1&2 for tomorrow, any last minute tips please? :D

Its going to be hard, there hard pegs as there is and with it being a saturday most pegs will be taken, i would only fish 1 rod tight to the far bank, 1 in the middlle and one down the margins, Fish very little bait ( bags at the most)

And Stay until as late as possible, last time i fished peg 1 had a 18lb 11oz common at final knockings, Fished 6 all day and lost 1 fish, moved to 1 for the final half hour and had it..

Good luck!

Just a little update, Had the best days fishing in a long while, Had 4 fish in total.

1st run withing 15 minutes! Which landed me 19lb 12oz Mirror

2nd fish was a common at 16lb 9oz

3rd fish was 20lb 4 oz - which is my first twenty and a new PB :D

The last fish (at 9.45pm) was just over 13lb mirror, let my mate have that one as he had blanked - glad i did as that was the smallest of the 4....!!

Followed the tips i had been given on here, so thanks to all for there input.

Cheers

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
Iam planning on a trip to riddings and from the information i have already read, i know where iam going to try and fish but i would like some advice on which baits work well and what style of rigs work best.

thank you

Quite a bit of bait goes in there, so I would try single hi-viz pop-up (pineapple maybe) over a small bag of pellet. And if its still warm up there I'd stick a zig out, maybe mid-water?

Cheers for the advice and I will try that. I have read on other websites that scopex boilies works well also mazie and sweetcorn have caught big is that true thanks again for the advice

I fish there quite often and know people who fish it most days, Zigs dont work on there for some reasoon ?

Get on the natural bait, maggot, worm, cockel etc they will all outscore the rest, Get on pegs 8.9.10 and youll stand a good chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fishing it on Sunday with Dad. Due to him not being able to walk we're on pegs 1 and 2. I'm thinking bait wise groundbait with sweetcorn, maize, pellets, and meat, with possibly a scopex boilie and worm on the hook. Does anyone think this will work. Any advise for these pegs would be well received... :?:

I'm fishing it on Sunday with Dad. Due to him not being able to walk we're on pegs 1 and 2. I'm thinking bait wise groundbait with sweetcorn, maize, pellets, and meat, with possibly a scopex boilie and worm on the hook. Does anyone think this will work. Any advise for these pegs would be well received... :?:

Pellets are banned mate.

Fish worms on all 3! u wont go wrong!

• 2 years later...

If you go round to the far side and fish the margins really quietly you might get a nice surprise.

Most anglers there will sit on the cafe side and fish to the visable feature, this puts lines through most of the water and all the fish swim off to the far side.

Keep your hooks small and use a washed out bait on a long hair.

oh and welcome to the site. :)

Cheers mate I new it was about time I signed great advice I don't no we're u are but we have just had some snow (lite) little worried wont pull anything out how big is the pool I hope it's not cramp plenty off space n quite as havent had chance to get there till we go Sunday bit blind but thanks for the information it's greatly appreciated u think might have a chance in these conditions I was gna try maggots size 12 hook would u recommend a braid hook lenth

The specimen pool isnt all that big and you would be surprised that there were big fish in it.

If you are going to fish it then you will need to use a bigger bait, if you have some boilies then i suggest you wack a big handfull into a bucket of water and let them washout until sunday.

If you are going to use maggots on a match anglers hook then i suggest you take a walk around the main lake and fish the very near margins with a big hookfull of wrigglers. You might also try the other lake at the far end of the venue (cant remember name of it) but it has some lovely fish in it and isnt hammered as much as the main lake.

dont forget to buy a bacon sarnie in the cafe and give my love to Debbie if she comes round with the tickets.