murphys lake thurmaston

Willesley is a lovely looking lake and has some cracking fish to go at but unfortunately it has become busier and busier over the last few years. Some weekends in the summer it receives a ridiculous amount of pressure with almost all the swims being taken :( .

I did have a walk around Murphys at the back end of last summer and it is a lovely lake. I know the big'un died last spring or maybe the one before but there are some good fish left to go at for the area.

Have you considered Wintertons just down the road ??

I personally would fish wintertons pal, as water sports and carping as far as im concerned dont mix, have a look at merricks, just over the road from the hope and anchor, 16/18 acres as a couple of thirties in there, pretty decent head of twenties in there and i beleive it's £80 for the season :shock::D but you do get the odd boater on there but a very nice water that aint very busy :wink:

• 11 months later...

hmm not sure about the watersports and carping not mixing?? try telling the lads off Charnwood that, who hadn't caught anything Monday until the boat came out, and noticed the carp on the opposite bank getting excited in the wash. they chucked a bait over and had 3 fish in 2 hours, 17.5-22.5lb. one of the 17's was a bright orange ghosty. 9 tickets still available for 2011.

Tony

oh and for Tenchmagnet if you are after tench, we do have one fisherman who only fishs for tench and bream, although he had to cope with a 21lb6 mirror the other day scoffing his casters and corn, he also caught a 12lb5 bream and a 7lb2 tench! the biggest carp out this month was 31lb, known as Aggas, but there are possibly another 8 fish over 30, one being a common.

Tony

I personally would fish wintertons pal, as water sports and carping as far as im concerned dont mix, have a look at merricks, just over the road from the hope and anchor, 16/18 acres as a couple of thirties in there, pretty decent head of twenties in there and i beleive it's £80 for the season :shock::D but you do get the odd boater on there but a very nice water that aint very busy :wink:

Dont go telling everyone about merricks or there wont be any space left for me lmao :wink:

• 1 year later...

any of you guys getting onto Merricks again this season?

Just done my renewal paperwork!!

Walked around the lake over the w/e with the family, the weed is all but gone, thinking if it's been cleared by the sailing club??

Which in itself is a double edged sword - less weed is good, more boats is not so good ....