shockleader

gedjnr1966

how do you attach end tackle to leader or do you add tubing lead clip etc to shockleader itself. :?::lol:

[edited for Text Talk/Spelling]

Here is a Picture of the Knot to attach Shockleader to Mainline:

knot.gif

When it comes to attaching Lead I make sure that I ALWAYS use a RUNNING LEAD or SAFE Helicopter Set-up.

The reason being for this is that if you ever have a Crack-off or Snap-off at Range then the Carp can get rid of the Lead. By Virtue of the Fact that you are fishing with a Tight Line at Range, the Running Lead will actually behave as a Fixed Lead anyway. With A helicopter set-up the Carp will normally get hooked against the Lead or the Rod Tip, depending on which way it Runs

It doesn't matter if you use Tubing or not, but if you prefer to then do so. I don't see the Need for Tubing on a Shockleader as it actually reduces Distance

I would also suggest buying some of the tapered leaders if you are inexperienced in tying the knots Nick has shown.

A tapered leader is usually 45lb breaking strain at the business end tappering down to 15lb at the end you attach to your main line. I have always found it easier to tie leader knots when the lines are similar in diameter.

I would also suggest buying some of the tapered leaders if you are inexperienced in tying the knots Nick has shown.

A tapered leader is usually 45lb breaking strain at the business end tappering down to 15lb at the end you attach to your main line. I have always found it easier to tie leader knots when the lines are similar in diameter.

Lol,

For some reason I have enormous problems with Tapered Shockleaders. I Crack-off almost every time with them!

It doesn't matter whether I'm using them on Fixed Spools for Carp Fishing or Multipliers for Sea Fishing I just can't get on with them.

When using Shockleaders you need 10lb Breaking Strain of Leader per Ounce of Lead, so 3oz of Lead you need 30lb Shockleader. However if you use Braid due to lack of Stretch you need to DOUBLE that ratio.

The best Shockleaders I have found and work for me are Drennan Greased Weasel in Grey and Amnesia in Black. For some reason the Black is softer and ties a Better Knot than Green or Clear.

i keep cracking off on amnesia :twisted:

Maybe a couple of reasons,

It could be something you don't get on with, like I can't get on with Tapered leaders :shock:

Have about 4 or 5 turns on the Reel when you have your usual Casting Drop and it may reduce the problem.

Keep the Knot to the Back of the Spool.

It may even be the type of Knot you tie. Amnesia doesn't seem to like, Water, Grinner or Uni Knots in my Hands either. The best one I have found is the one I put up a couple of Posts ago

lol. thats the knot I am using at the moment. Maybe its by casting action. I'm quite whippy and really can give it a fair crack. I am using the 20lb black amnsia, should i go up in breaking strain??????

cheers lads

Go up to 30lb Amnesia, 3oz Lead will need at least 30lb Leader

am i the only one that uses a braid shockleader? i've been using wychwood shock braid for a while now for spodding. very easy to tie knots, & no crack-offs so far.

I have moved off Braid for My Spod Rod, as the Braid has totally Ruined a Tip Ring.

With Braid Shock Leaders because of the Lack of Stretch you need 20times the Weight of the Lead. Also you need to wear a Finger Stall, A mistimed Cast and Braid can cut to the Bone :shock: