the exploding stringer

karlholding

Does anyone remember the exploding stringer that made a small shout at the beginning of the ninetys.I think it was andy littles idea and it incorporated an alka seltzer tablet a small length of pole elastic and a couple of other bits.More importantly can anyone remember how it was tied as i cant remember but i remember thinking that it was a rather clever idea

edited for swearing! jules007

This was a 6-8 bait stringer tied with elastic and a loop at one and of the elastic that the alka seltzer was put in then it was pulled tight and strecthed through the baits and somehow attached to the hair or hook(this is the problem im having) the end rusult is that when the alka seltzer has fizzed away (which incidently richworth now do a fizzing attractor tablet) the elastic snaps back through the baits with such a force that it spreads the baits at about a meter square spread witch is very effective when fishing small gaps in weed or sirt patches as you cant bait that accuratley with a throwing stick or a spod

Andy Littles Exploding Stringer system from the Andy Littles Guide to Carp Fishing:

Another technique that heas earned extra fish in recent seasons is my own exploding stringer system. It incorporates a short length of anti-tangle tubing, leger stop, fragment of Alka Seltzer tablet and some boilies.

To set the rig up, make a small hole in the free offerings with a large baiting needle or one-eigth drill. Tie a small loop in one end of the pole elastic then break off a piece of Alka Seltzer tablet and insert it into tghe loop. Feed the drilled boilies down the elstic and slide on a short piece of anti-tangle tube. The length of the tubeis governed by the final length of un-stretched elastic. Finally stretch out the elastic to its full extent, and lock everything in position with the leger stop. The exploding swivel is then ready to be attached to the stop swivel.

After casting out the Alka Seltzer tablet dissolves in about 45 seconds and the elastic retracts into the rig tubingleaving the boilies free. In practice the elastic recoils with such force that it sends the boilies flying several inches apart

An idea for you though, try putting some boilies in boilie mesh, but tighten it down and knot it so tight that you are stretching the mesh. As it dissolves it may well do the same thing with less effort :wink:

I did try the mesh in the bath as thats the onl place i could at the time the best i got was litraly 2-3 inches of seperation i think im gonna have to sit down and try this out and think it all through fro start to finish thanks for the tips though i can use them as a guide cheers chap

I remember it exactly as Nick as said. I also seem to recall that one of the rigs he reckoned-on in the book was the "no-hook" rig - with a boilie PVA'd to the hook - which he reckoned was a good option for confidently feeding fish (they'd suck up the bait and the hook would go up there too).

That's just far too smart!

I remember it exactly as Nick as said. I also seem to recall that one of the rigs he reckoned-on in the book was the "no-hook" rig - with a boilie PVA'd to the hook - which he reckoned was a good option for confidently feeding fish (they'd suck up the bait and the hook would go up there too).

That's just far too smart!

Dan,

I cheated, I still have my copy of Andy Littles Guide to Big Carp Fishing. (sorry I missed a word out of the title in original post), so I was able to dig it out and quote it word for word.

I remember the baitless hook as well, but more from a CarpWorld article, I think fishing hemp?

Got it somewhere myself. :wink:

Not one I refer to very often though - I still remember Andy Little giving me nightmares as a kid - he caught some fish, for sure - I just wish the Editors had realised we'd take their word for it the photo was of him and cut his head off. Talking about hitting every branch on the way down!

Got it somewhere myself. :wink:

Not one I refer to very often though - I still remember Andy Little giving me nightmares as a kid - he caught some fish, for sure - I just wish the Editors had realised we'd take their word for it the photo was of him and cut his head off. Talking about hitting every branch on the way down!

I made the mistake of selling some of my fishing books on e-bay, although for some reason I still have the Anglers Mail/Andy Little one, probably 'cos I realised no-one would buy it

He did do a good chapter on Savay in Big Fish From Famous Waters by Chris Turnbull as well, although I don't think he has ever been particularly photogenic.

I think I kind of preferred the caricature of Randy Spittle.