A rig for weedy lakes

sparky1967

Hi people, just wondered if any 1 out there can help.I've recently joined a local water but 1 of the lakes is fairly weedy. It holds a good head of fish with a couple of commons & mirrors hitting just over the 30 mark.I have found a few clear spots using the marker, but would be grateful if any 1 could show me a few rigs that would make it easier fishing into the weed as the fish seem more at home trying to find food there. Diagrams would be much appreciated. Thanks again, & tight lines.... :D

when fishing weedy waters (canadian pond type) and the carp are more confident in eating amongst it i try to find a spot that is less dense, then ill use a short hooklength (3-1/2 inches or so) with a 4oz lead so i know my hookbait is making it to the bottom.

also it may help to find which way the weed is growing down the lake, and if there is any new growth of weed, as the naturals (snails etc) WILL follow this and the carp WILL follow them :wink:

you could try using a zigrig so it will hover above or have a long hooklink and put pva foam on the hook so it will rest on the weed.... But carp will feed n the weed and rip it up to get to the food so you can let it go all the way down and they should find it

Rich

you could try a light lead, 1oz 1 1/2 oz with a long hooklength 18inches or so, this could depend on the length of the weed, then use pva foam on the hook to slow the decent of the hook bait so it rests ontop ot the weed and does not catch up in it, also critically balanced hookbaits/pop ups may help in this situation?

you could try the pva bag aproach as this will flatten/sit ontop of the weed?

if there are alot of silver fish, smaller fish in the lake you could prebait with particals, hemp/pellets/corm etc and let the fish clear you a spot over time?

or even try casting your rigs out when the sun has gone down as this is when the weed will be at its lowest (stooped), as during the daylight weed will tend to "reach" towards the sun.

just a few ideas you could try, im not the best at fishing in and amongst weed so maybe others could give you better ideas/advise????