Holwell Hyde

hello mate

i used to fish the hyde about 9 years ago,was a great runs water but used to get busy.

i started fishing again this august and had a few good days although i did hear there has been a few kills one quite large.if you get the right bait it can be a great days fishing. its not as busy as it used to be most days and then it can be full the next day.

there has been a couple of cats put in one being caught at 31lb, 1lb up on its weight when put in. plenty of small stuff in there,used to be alot of 20's in there and a couple of 30's but since i started again ive seen one 21lb common and see a young lad get a 20lb on the other side of lake. caught plenty of high doubles and quite a few small carp,loads of bream in there which will take any bait you put in. dont know of any pike being caught since i started again.

the wooden points are a good spot,hit the back of one island and hit the other main island and if you go round to the left and the double swim after the corner is a good spot

the lake just stopped fishing at the end of november with very little coming out. the carp are not in the greatest condition in there but it is a high pressured lake and the fish do come out often when fishing well.

im hoping to join poppy hills this year as i want a new challenge and a new lake.

hope this helps,im not the most experienced carper and im not so good with marking out etc but ive been on this lake so many times.

good luck and tight lines

no worries

if you go there and its started to fish again you'll catch,its not very often you blank if the fish are feeding.boilies always work as do a lot of particles.

during the warmer months it is best to get down there as early as you can at weekends,people do get there early for the best swims.

good luck

• 2 months later...

hello lads just thought id let u knw ive just got back from the hyde its still very slow compared to what it normally is. i also saw a few carp down the far end in the shallows and they had a fungal infection on their back and their was a dead one near them with the same thing on it. so be warned i u fish there make sure u dry ur nets after to avoid spreading disease or infections. i also spoke to the bailiff and he said ther bream are feasting on nearly every thing that goes into the water. i had some success using fluro pop ups...

hope this helps and good luck

see u on the bank somewhere some day

Cheers for the info mate.

Just got down the hyde and am fishing the platform in far corner.

Will let you know how it goes.

Was much coming out yesterday?? The water levels are very high,I stopped fishing here in november,lake just came to a stop.

Hope its starting again although I'm only here till june then off to a club

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello mate

I didn't do a night but did 8pm to midnight and had 4 and lost 2.

I was the only person on the lake but have popped down a couple of ti£es for a awalk around and people are catching.

Don't know if anything big has come out,all mine was under 10lb

Let us know how you got on if you go

• 4 weeks later...

This lake needs shutting down and a right make over done on it. The state it was in the last time I looked at it, banks all over grown, water stinks to high heaven, fish with badly damaged mouths from bad angling and human feaces in the bushes because the owners couldn't be assed to buy a toilet for their fishery. The owners of that dump need to take a look at it and consider the fish and not lining their pockets. I fished it for 12 hours about 5 years ago when i had just moved into the area and didn't see a single baliff and had kids basicly setting up in my swim and what I caught looked like they had been caught left on the bank without a mat and hung by its head and had the hook torn from its mouth, to add to this i caught a carp trailing a rig with the lead tied to the line, thank god i was there to unhook it.

Stay away at all costs! It will save you money to fish stanbrough, fish in good condition and well baliffed.

I may add I went there once and this was my experience, it may have improved in this time but I will never step foot on its banks again. All I wanted was a quick piece of pleasure angling whilst I couldn't get to my syndicate at the time and it made me feel sick.

Cheers

Will

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi

holwell hyde is day ticket dawn till dusk, ive been twice in the last week and its not fishing to great,still cold nights and frost in mornings and lake hasnt woken up yet if you know what i mean.

regarding "will's" comments, i totally agree with the place needs a good tidy up and sort out, yes it is all about money down there which is a great shame. the fish have been badly treated in the past but there isnt really any kids going there now, used to get mobbed at weekends and school holidays,ive been down there on a sunday and could still get a swim at 8.30am. we are not all stupid fisherman down there and dont all have a syndicate to go to,ive spent plenty of my time cleaning up my swim and picking up other peoples rubbish but i do that at stanborough aswell,every lake has its idiots and the hyde has had a few of those in the past but its getting better as people seem to be trying and there is somebody cleaning up somedays. there is a portaloo but some idiots have tipped it over which probably was the people that dumped a load of rubbish there that probably have nothing to do with fishing.

the lake did have a couple of kills year before last and its not as much of a runs water as it was. have not heard of anything over 22.8 coming out and ive only seen a 21lb common come out. plenty of high doubles though. the waters levels there are normal for the lake now.

hope this helps.