warmwell lakes

selby1

Selby there used to be a 50Lb common called Herman in Warmwell many years ago but it has long since gone to the big lake in the sky.

How the lake managed to sustain a fish of that size and a couple of large 30's, low fortys to back it up, god only knows, as the is lake pretty much a puddle.

I have a couple of good mates, who are very good anglers and live very close by and keep quite a close eye on the place and in their opinion it's not got the stock that is advertised but this is only their opinion. There are a hand full of 20's but these are hard to catch and most fish seem to be low to mid doubles.

I fished it for about 4 days around 18 months ago and when I arrived I spoke to four lads who had been staying in one of the lodges on the lake side and they had fished it pretty much solid for a week and managed 3 fish between them biggest being 13lb something.

I did manage a little better in the four days I fished it, taking 5 fish to 17lb but it was suprisingly hard going.

What did suprise me and sticks in my mind was that I saw next to no fish showing themselves , which i found strange for the time of year, late May early June.

I did find this video on youtube a few weeks ago that will give you a small idea of the place.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spaggage08#p/u/5/EbArPQCOIXE

The mark where these two caught their fish is the same mark that accounted for 3 of my fish.

There are plenty of other waters within 10 to 45 mins of Warmwell that offer a better chance of catching some fish, if you really want a bend in your rod, especially this time of year.

A couple of the closer ones you could try (within about 15 mins)are Arfleet in Corfe, Luckfield lake in Broadmayne and Wally's lake in Osmington Mills.

If you wanted to go a little further then you could try Lyons Gate, Revels, Coking Farm or Todber Manor.

With the exception of Luckfield which can be a little hit or miss, all of these will offer you a better chance of a fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Iv been and looked around a few times but as yet I havent bothered fishing it as it has always been packed out in the summer mostly with holiday makers and noddies. It seems to recieve a lot of pressure and fish very slowly from what iv seen and heard and they guys in the tackle shop seem to greatly exaggerate the catch reports. I have seen a few fish show on my wanders around the lake but nothing above low doubles.

As gidneyboy said, there are a lot better places to fish more locally.

spent aweek in 94 and aweek in 95 saw herman and bertha on the bank at 42 and 38 respectively on the first visit . on the second trip saw them both again herman the common at 45 and bertha the mirror at 39 . bertha was one of the few mirrors in the lake and there were also about 25 commons mostly around mid 20s and a couple of low 30s. it was fished by a lot of high profile anglers including kev nash and mike willmott who all joined the hunt for herman. sadly she past away after becoming spawn bound and reached in excess of 50lb . the hot spots where in the bankside margins which where deeper than the rest of the lake particulary the outflow pipe and the fist few swims near the bridge............hope this helps good luck :lol::wink:

excuse my ignorance but is this warmwell as in the holiday place with the lodges in weymouth?

if so i stayed in one of those lodges in september and had a look around the lakes, i think the speciman lake was the one with a lodge on the island. its nothing more then a muddy puddle and dont think there would be anything of any size swimming in there.

excuse my ignorance but is this warmwell as in the holiday place with the lodges in weymouth?

if so i stayed in one of those lodges in september and had a look around the lakes, i think the speciman lake was the one with a lodge on the island. its nothing more then a muddy puddle and dont think there would be anything of any size swimming in there.

Thats the one Crapper, how it managed to sustain a 50 for so long is beyond me.