Melverley farm hodnett

andy4152

Hi guys has any one got any info on melverly farm, ive done a search but theres not much info on the place. Ive been told there are quite a few upper doubles in there and the odd few bigger carp up to around 30 pound mark. is there any truth in this? im going up there this saturday so any info would be a great help :?

fished it for years mate as i grew up 2 minutes down the road.used to catch some lovely fish just on waggler with meat,of course the turned my hand to carping and have still never blaked there on the good old boilie.as you go in,there is a small pool on the left that guarantees a gret days sport,with the average size id say about between 4 and ten pounds.hes been doing some work to this pool so its a tad bigger than it used to be. then theres the middle pool which is at the start of the bend toward the house.never fished it,gets alot of pole fishermen on there.

as you turn the bend you will see the house,drive straight past and you will see the gate entrance to the bottom pool,which in my opinion is your best bet for a better size fish.read the rules though mate,and pay before you go in though the gate,because the guy who runs it norman is of a strange breed!!! he will leave you alone though.ignore all the caravans aswell mate,it used to just be a camping site but now he stores them aswell.as you go in,the first swim has an inlet streaming in,a few 12mm boilies and 2 on the hair wit a small pva bag of pellets is an absolute winner dropped right next to it,and then just fish to the island with a scattering of freebies and you wont go wrong

it depends what youre after? 20 or more carp in a day is easily achievable at melverly,so if you want a bend in your rod,and the chance of some perfect upper doubles,i wouldnt rule it out.last time i went my biggest was an 18 common.stunning fish and not a mark on it.that was my largest of a 12 fish session and was only there for a short session.

yeh normans wierd,but all he wants is the money in the box before you fish and hes happy ploughing muck in the next field for the rest of the day then.

and yeh,the 30 is a myth,but arent most day ticket places the same? theres always someone who knows someone whos had a monster out,and unless youre on a syndicate,where you know what the lake record is,youl never know unless youre lucky enough to hook it.

i have been literally hundreds of times,as like i say i used to live 2 mins away,and have seen some cracking lumps come out,and had many enjoyable sessions with my carp gear catching lots of carp. youve only been once and have drawn your conclusion by only catching 3 fish??

all i say is,go,give it a go,its not the worst place by any means,and i guarantee you will catch.if you want to sit it out for the bigguns,then yeh,wrekin res is probably a better shout,but when my syndicate rota isnt on my week on,i go sumwhere like melverly for a bit of a confidence boost and to see if my rigs that failed to catch a monster on my lake actualy work!!

• 1 year later...

so what am i doin wrong then? went last sunday fished to the inlet with double 10mm pineapple boilies over pellets and 1 to the island alternating between pellet an boilie only had 1 fish about the 7lb mark from the inlet. blanked the first time i went although the pool was full an it was boiling hot an nobody was catching.

• 6 months later...

i go to this pool at least twice a week

its fishing good at the moment

i always fish next to the island and never go wrong

biggest i had out of here was 19lb around 2 seasons ago

i go here maninly in the week as i fish for bigger fish at wekeends

if any of you are free sometime drop message i might be up there