Splicing Leadcore

trees

Can anyone show me, with diagrams etc..., how to splice leadcore? I have seen instructions before in a mag but I don't know if I was reading it right, but the loop that was made couldn't possibly be strong enough to hold a fish on.

I have not had a Leadcore Splice Break or slip.

The leadcore splice works on the Chinese finger trap method, where as the outside is pulled tight it shrinks in size and traps itself on the inner part of the spice.

There really is no need for glue at all as this could stop the movement of the outer core which needs to stay supple to expand and detract as required to cause the hold.

If you splice into itself for about a centimetre it will stay tight on itself. Also if you make the loop large enough at the Hooklink end you can attach your swivel loop to loop method.

This link shows how I attach the swivel to the Loop.

https://forum.carp.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=17291

I don't think that you are the only person with that problem using that Brand!

I always use ESP Leadcore, in my view it is the best. You do have to make sure that the Splice into itself is long enough to grip. I normally aim for 15-20mm and leave a large Loop.

I think it works out better, why pay £2.50-£3.00 for 1 pre-tied leader when you can get a spool for £5-10. That spool will make up a lot more than 4 leaders. You can get the length you need not be forced into a 1metre leader when you may actually need 1.5metre.

Also as you have discovered, the Pre-Tied ones may not be perfectly formed.

Khaki!

It has a twin colour weave

ESP Bumpf

[quote}

ESP Leadcore is immensely strong with a 45lb breaking strain and has a high abrasion resistance.

It is ideal for heavy weed and snags while the two tone weave provides excellent camouflage.

7m per spool.

Guest Anonymous

Is it a lot cheaper to splice your own? cos in the main, the pre spliced ones are only a couple of quid.

Its loads cheaper mate, the bonus is you can make them to your desired length:)

Just one point on there,

A properly Spliced Loop WILL NOT need gluing.

By Adding Superglue you actually create a point that can break on the Leadcore as it twists. You also make another point that any bead can get trapped on!

I splice mine and have landed Hard Fighting Carp to over 20lbs without gluing the splice.

thanks for the input, i never tried this, just thought it may help someone :D

No probs Mate,

The pics themselves are great and an "Idiots Guide" which is always helpful, just that point about the Glue that may make a Rig more Risky and Carp Unsafe.

If the Glued splice went on a cast it could be Dangerous with a Cracked off Lead flying a lot further than a normal Cast.