Ham pool

Hi all,Ihave just join scac and have only fished ham pool once,catching just bream and tench was wondering if anyone had any tactics that might give me an edge on catching a carp.

Im sure i will in a couple of sessions but any tips would be well appreciated..Also i cant belive the bream in there was taking 2x20m boilies..Thanks

Hiya mate. Ham Pool still rammed? Has been most of this year. Ham can be tricky at times so don't let one blank make you question your tactics too much. It's a very moody place and the carp don't seem to follow the rules so to speak. Also, you'll find many of the members won't offer up information too readily.

As you've already found out the bream and tench can be a nuisance, so i would advise against pellets, and even to a certain extent particles. However, nobody ever seems to bait heavily on Ham, so a large bed of particle does present the carp with something different, and does definatly work if you don't mind wading through umpteen bream in the process.

Be advised the silt in Ham is deep and soft. Try pushing a landing net handle into the silt in the margins and you'll see for yourself the extent of it. Most of this silt is relatively clean and odour free so don't be afraid to present a bait on it. I know a lot of the regulars like to use pop ups on top of it but all of my fish from Ham have come on balanced bottom baits or snowman presentations. I do however use much longer hooklinks than most, prefering to go 12" and upwards on occasions.

You might hear people saying that Ham contains no features and simply bowls out to a uniform 14ft in the middle. Well believe me, thats a load of rubbish. There are plenty of features to dangle to, some very subtle, and some no so. But do your homework and you'll soon find plenty of tempting spots. The standard of angler fishing Ham seems to be in decline recently and many simply chuck and chance it. Get it spot on, and spend some time ensuring your presentation is pukka and you'll reap the rewards.

Oh, and if you notice a shortarse with a red astravan....come have a chat. I keep a close eye on the place despite rarely fishing it these days.

Best of luck

Chris