barston lakes

:D hi everyone i have just started carp fishing again after a break of 10 years .i have got the basic tackle,my question is i am going for a 48 hour session with my brother to barston lakes we have made it into a compertition so i would be gratefull for any advice on how to fish this lake ,the baits i could use and the rig set up

many thanks

Degger

Hi Degger, welcome to this forum. Barston Lake is owned and managed by Nigel Harrhy, a well known and recognised match angler. The lake has been stocked with LOTS of pasties and other small carp to appease the needs of the anglers who attend the frequent matches held there.

However, the lake also holds some fine specimen carp, some of which came from a reservoir which was being drained for maintenance, and some which were resident before it became an official fishery. I know this because I fished it when it was a "wild, unowned" water and had good carp on the bank, frequently.

My advice would be to fish the bank which has the River Blythe behind you and get as far as possible from the buildings while remaining within fishing range of the islands.

If you're happy to catch lots of small fish, adopt the match angler's approach. For better fish use large baits, boilies or pellets.

The full English breakfast served in the Clubhouse is well worth the money.

Good luck.

Ian