fishing over clay bottom??????

jimmer6666

please can anybody help, ive been fishing a lake in my area for a couple of years now, ive always fished inline set up, but ive been told that the heli or chod would be a better rig on a soft clay botttom, can some one please tell me if this is true, and what would be good ideas for rigs would be great. cheers:confused: :confused:

You may find that you are losing Indication and possibly Takes by the Front of the Lead and the Rig Swivel bedding into the Clay, effectively shortening your Hooklength.

I would suggest that you change to a Helicopter or Pendant style Lead arrangement depending on the Distance you are fishing at.

Depending on Water Clarity you may find a hooklength that is camouflaged, but Clay waters tend to be fairly coloured so fish with what ever Hooklink material you are comfortable with.

For clay I have found that Kryston Silkworm, Supersilk and Mantis Gold are pretty well matched to the colour of the Lakebed.

Supersilk may look a bit bright white, but it takes on the colour of the Lakebed and so camouflages itself.

If you prefer Fluorocarbons or Mono Hooklengths fish with them.

Just keep your rigs fairly simple, knotless knot and/or Line Aligner. The easiest things to change to increase takes are the length of the rig and/or the hair.