Advice wanted on May Water Chigboro Fisheries Maldon Essex

Hi

Can anyone shed some light on this water please? (http://www.chigboro-fisheries.co.uk/chigboro/mayw.html)

I'm looking for tips on how to beat the weed, what sort of realistic stock it holds and any other help you might be able to give on fishing this water for the first time.

Had a look around at the weekend and people were catching, and there were lots of fish feeding on the surface.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jim

Hi Jimbo, I've fished Chigboro quite a bit over the years.

It could be a really nice venue if it was managed properly but it gets more than its fair share of morons. Also, there have been quite a few instances of theft from parked cars.

However, there are some nice fish to over 30lb in there. I caught my current PB common of 27.12 there.

My first bit of advice is to ignore the main part of the lake where the numpties and manic spodders tend to congregate and try the quieter, deeper areas around the back. There is also less weed here. Secondly, there are loads of bream into double figures present so using pellets, particles etc. will give you a lot of problems. Go with a boilie only approach.

I now only fish Chigboro a couple of times in the Spring when the fish are into their pre-spawning munch and ignore the place during the rest of the year. It's rammed with doughnuts in Summer and it's very hard in Winter.

Best of luck fella.

Tryzard

Cheers mate, really appreciate the advice, couple of the guys I was chatting to on Saturday had has a pretty successful nights there in the quieter part of the lake, although they'd both fished it over the winter and had found it very hard.

To be honest I'm almost after a 'Runs' water as I only get to fish maybe 3 times a year due to family commitments and want to catch, but don't really want to go down the Newlands Hall route, so the advice is really welcome.

Can I ask if you plum around in your swim to find clear patches, or do you use a PVA bag to overcome any weed issues? (I usually fish lakes that don't really suffer much weed (newlands and birds green) so am unsure really what tactics to employ, I was going to use either an inline led set up or lead on a clip with about a 4-5 inch hook length with a pop up or bottom boilie over a bed of crushed boilies or pellet and use this with a PVA bag.

As for the numpties, LOL there were a few there as well, 2 guys totally zonked in there bivvy, oblivious to the mass of carp feeding in front of them, just wish I'd had my rod.

Thanks again

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I wouldn't call it a runs water but you can get a big hit if you get the fish going. I've had as many as 15 fish in a day session.

Your proposed rig is fine but I would use a single bottom bait fished over loosefed boilies, at least 18mm. Forget the bag and pellets and crushed boilies or it'll be "Good morning Mr Bream"! :D

Plumb around to find the clear spots but you'll be surprised at how little weed there is round the back end of the lake. My best advice about the weed is don't worry about it, the fish don't!

In another couple of weeks it'll be the best time of the year to fish Chigboro, so give it a whirl! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it was closed for at least 2 years and then managed by a good team it would be a fantastic venue .

As tryzard has said it aint a venue for pulling em out in numbers and to be honest you might aswell just through ya rod and reel in the lake and come back the following year .

Both tryzard and myself have had alot of sessions on there but only at specific times of the year

And spodding is the kiss of death !!.

To be honest the lake is only a couple of miles away for me and i dont even bother with it

• 2 years later...

Has anybody fished this place recently?

I had a walk over there today and was shocked by the amount of weed in the front part of the lake & even worse the dead fish, I found at least 6 fish that looked as though they could be 20lbrs or more, one was just lying on the bank as if its had been hauled out the lake.

Any new info on this place would be welcome as I havent fished it for about 5/6 years now. Already know about the noddies and they will be hard to keep off the place

I fished there a few weeks ago. There was the usual divs down there, once they left it was just me n the misses on the whole complex.

Weed is a huge factor down there, also the balifes ride around on a quad so that can be a pain.

I've herd of big carp in there but it's just poorly run I'm got g down Sunday eve to Monday eve

Turn left then follow round to the left lol.

I fish last night n today n blanked, had loads of knocks during the night.

I heard someone had a 21lb on a beach swim. Also was told I was fishing on one of the best swims?

And biggest in that lake is 37lb

Was it busy??

If you go left, you will be facing one island, and if you continue then you are walking towards the long chuck (Opposite Beach Swim) everybody fishes there!!

Was there still loads of dead fish littered around???

37lb blimey never seen any pictures of anything bigger than 25!!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...