Helicopter rig

barnabus

Helicopter Rigs are one of the least understood things about Carp Fishing Tackle.

First, Make sure you use a Safe system that if the Carp breaks the line it can eject the lead from the rig.

What distance you likely to be fishing at? Within reason the further out you are fishing will depend on the Lead size you need to use, but don't overload your rods.

I tie the lead straight onto the Tail end of the Shockleader that I use, and cover the join with a Solar Bead or Tulip Bead. The little bead protects the Knot. Then a Ordinary rubber Bead so the the swivel can turn. Then another rubber bead to hold the swivel in place. The shockleader goes through the middle of tubing, which protects the line. I normally have the tubing about 5cm longer than the rig so that even with Braid I don't get a tangle.

Notice in the pic I have used rubber beads. This is so under pressure in event of a breakage the Carp can eject the Lead and the Rig will slide off the tubing I have actually cracked off even with a 40lb shockleader, but because the Carp can eject the rig there is no Danger to the Carp. I would not recommend putting Lead wire or Putty to hold the Tubing down as this can prevent the Rig sliding off and make it a Death Rig.

Incidentally use a better lead than I have, this was just for explanation purposes.

Finally is there really a need for a Helicopter rig? A standard Pendulum Lead set up works far better in weedy waters, and casts nearly as far and if fished properly is Tangle Free.