Magician by Raymond E Feist

wickie2358

What an epic fantasty novel. I Could go on to write a huge review about this brilliant book, but to save time and the fact it would take me hours to put my feelings for this book into words, i shall post a review i found on the internet.

The story begins in Crydee, a frontier outpost in the Kingdom of the Isles. An orphaned young boy named Pug becomes a master magician’s apprentice and two world’s destinies are forever changed. The peace that he has known all his short life disappears and is replaced by war in the shape of invaders from another world. A magically created rift in space brings together the two worlds, the world that Pug has always known and the world of the invading Tsuranuanni.

Tomas will inherit a legacy of savage power from an ancient civilization. Pug's destiny is to lead him through a rift in the fabric of space and time to the mastery of the unimaginable powers of a strange new magic...

This is an epic tale of intrigue and action. Raymond E. Feist has an amazing imagination and here he brings to us a war between two worlds reminiscent of Medieval Europe and Japan in the time of the Samurai. This book is not short (650+ pages) but it never feels overly long as the fine narrative guides you effortlessly through the story. The character development is also excellent and they come alive in your mind and leave you genuinely caring about what happens to them. The plot twists plus the use of two culturally different worlds make for very interesting reading.

The story is set in Midkemia, a world created by Feist which also includes an impressive back history. This is the first (and by far the best) of the series called the Riftwar Saga. Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon complete the trilogy.

The chapter in which Pug sees the beginning of worlds is possibly one of the finest in fantasy literature. Magician was voted the 89th most popular book of all time in the BBC's Big Read Top 100.

This is an extremely powerful and memorable book. If you gain any enjoyment whatsoever from reading fantasy then this is a novel that you simply cannot afford not to read. Understandably, this is one of the highest regarded books in the world.

I've just started to read the next book in the series; Silverthorn, and its living upto its predecessor's magnitude.

• 5 months later...

I have read a few of Raymond Feists books and I love them.

I have a feeling though that you may have missed part of the Riftwar saga as I have "Honoured Enemy, Legends of the Riftwar", a collaboration with William Forstchen.

Whatever, I would definitely read these books if you have any love for Fantasy Novels

I discovered about a month ago, that there is more books relating to the Riftwar Saga. Which means I have to go speak to my local library. :) I was only aware of the Legends of the Riftwar, but I just found out (10mins ago) that there was 3 more before that. :oops:

The Riftwar Legacy

* Krondor: The Betrayal (1998)

* Krondor: The Assassins (1999)

* Krondor: Tear of the Gods (2000)

Legends of the Riftwar

* Honoured Enemy (2001) with William R. Forstchen

* Murder in LaMut (2002) with Joel Rosenberg

* Jimmy the Hand (2003) with S. M. Stirling

Guess I'm going to be busy soon. :lol:

I discovered about a month ago, that there is more books relating to the Riftwar Saga. Which means I have to go speak to my local library. :) I was only aware of the Legends of the Riftwar, but I just found out (10mins ago) that there was 3 more before that. :oops:

The Riftwar Legacy

* Krondor: The Betrayal (1998)

* Krondor: The Assassins (1999)

* Krondor: Tear of the Gods (2000)

Legends of the Riftwar

* Honoured Enemy (2001) with William R. Forstchen

* Murder in LaMut (2002) with Joel Rosenberg

* Jimmy the Hand (2003) with S. M. Stirling

Guess I'm going to be busy soon. :lol:

I have read the first 3 that you mentioned in the "Legacy" series, unfortunately I no longer own them as I put them on E-bay when I split up with Liz, but they are definitely worth reading.

The last 2 in the "Legends", I have to go get myself and think that I will also be going to the library to see if I can get hold of them.