review of ash ponds / somerset

i have just been made assistant bailiff at ash ponds near yeovil somerset so i thought i would write a review of it. so if your looking for a place to fish for a good chance of a 20lb+ fish this is the place to go.

ash ponds has 3 ponds which are 1.5 acres each and is a great 20's water and there are many 20's to be caught including a 33lb mirror which was caught back in november on lake1, but there are many reports of people being snapped up by big fish, and a 29lb12oz which was caught 2 years ago in lake 3 so must be just over 30lb by now, i have also seen a 29lb mirror caught in lake 2 about 2 years ago.

the 1st lake is about 4-5ft deep with two beds of lilly pads and reeds going all around the sides which are great spots for catching some of these lovely carp. this is ment to be the hardest lake to catch but its the only lake i fish as i find there is a very high chance of catching a few 20's in a 24hour session, we know for a fact there is a 33lb mirror caught from this lake and i think theres still more to be caught.

the 2nd lake goes from about 4-6ft deep and only has reeds going all round but still has many good fish with a fair few 20's in and a good chance that there is a 30 in there. 3 years ago my friend caught a 27lb12oz just with a single boilie.

the 3rd lake is probably the most popular as this lake is easy going and gets many fish on the bank in a 24-48 hour session which go from anything between 6lb-29lb but the average is about 15lb. there are reeds going all round the lake along with a couple willow trees and a couple bays.

the most commom way to fish any of these lake is just a boilie with a pva bag with some free offerings and some pellet.

sweetcorn can be very good in summer months fished over a bed of hemp with some free sweetcorn, tiger nuts can also work well on the 1st lake in the lillys and close in to the reeds.

if you use nuts these will have to be checked by a bailiff before fishing with them.

barbless hooks only and no fixed rigs.

there is a flush toilet and wash basin on site in a brick building.

the cost of fishing is £5 per day and £5 per night, times going from 8am-8pm and 8pm-8am, if its not very busy then you wont have to rush of the lake by 8am but if its busy then they dont like you going past these times too much.

birds eye view of ash ponds.

Untitled.png

directions to get here.

maptoash.png

when you come into the little village called ash, there is a turning on your right with a letter box built into the wall called burrough st, go down there, after about 1/4 of a mile you will see a lane going of to the right and the road carrys on to the left, you need to go down that bumpy track, follow this track right down to the bottom and in through the gate and your there.

hope to see you on the bank there soon.

:D:D:D:D:D

tight lines

kris

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had some good days this winter, fishing the middle lake and landing mainly carp, plenty of fish but nothing over about 5 pounds so far.

It is pay on the bank or rather pay the baillif in the white caravan, he also sells pellets although i've not tried them there.

Heard that an 18 pound carp was caught from the middle lake recently...and you will need your wellies if its been raining cause it gets boggy on the bank

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

1st day at Ash for me was great using flora popup boilie and hemp pva bags i landed my 1st carp for nearly 18yrs taking the bait of the top within 30 sec of casting (bags float) 6ib mirror, 45 mins later have another run and another mirror about same weight so by this time we have big smiles.. :):D:D quiet for a hour then a real screamer to take a 4-4.5ib tench. That was it for the big fish...tried chum on top and they were taking the free offerings of the surface but not mine :( but me and my 5yr old had fun on the silver fish all day All in pond 3 so will try pond 2 next time.....

Can vouch for the quality of the fish - been down a few times over the past two years and although I've only ever been on the left-hand lake (the rectangular one) it's always produced on a variety of methods throughout the year. The quality of the fish is excellent - out of a dozen or so mid-doubles banked probably two showed any sign of wear and tear (so to speak), which was slight mouth damage, that's it. Absolute corkers and a really fun, reliable water to try new stuff or just have a confidence boost.

One thing to remember though is that the track from the village to the fishery is savage; probably the most rutted I've seen for many years. It's okay if you take your time (or if you have a 4x4 with good clearance) but be very careful, especially when it's wet because the potholes turn into big puddles that you can't gauge the depth of; some at 2" deep, others are 7-8" deep. It also gets a bit boggy down in the entrance to the car park after a shower so don't wear your best shoes :)

Other than that, wish it was one me doorstep :)

• 2 months later...

thursday 28th july went fishing to ash ponds fished lake 2 for a hour caught a 6lb common on a margin pole then started catching loads of rudd and roach and skimmer bream.moved to lake 3 and caught a 14lb common off the top on floating monster quid dipped dog biscuits .lost 3 carp to hook pulls .then at six oclock caught a 20 lb mirror fishing on a float about six inches deep on monster quid dipped dog biscuits it put up a monster fight took half an hour to land on waggler rod using 8lb line good days fishing enjoyed the day and quality fish will be back to fish again highly recommend these lakes :D

• 1 year later...