Carp in Spain

nmarston

Yeah! Where abouts you goin? Try the Segre at Mequenenza town centre loads of Halibut pells go in around this area by the cat nutters. The old pump house swim opposite the new flats is worth a shot. It'll be cold in the mornings, but first light is the time to get out and watch for moving fish, don't get sucked into fishing very deep water even if fish are moving there look for the fish moving over 10-15 ft and never disregerde the margins best of luck mate let me know how you get on I'm out there in April

Late Feb is still mainly a Carp time ,although after dark (when you are not really supposed to fish for carp anyway) its worth Catting for a while.It will be cold ,unless you are on the bank facing the Sun ,so wrap up and worth taking umberlla/small bivvi to get protection from wind.Fushion mainline bollies/paste and Dip works well.Need to try and lay a bed of bait if possible as the carp moe arounds ,hence the need for any tpe of bait attractor.I use 15-20lb line...4 ounce leads and (unless i need to cast more than 70 yards) small PVA bag.Lots of snaggs ,soquick retrieves needed and bully the fish ,otherwise they will find a snag.If you go for Cats...step up to 50lb plus line or prefreably 50lb braid...6-8 Halibet pellets on hair rig...clearly you can only cast these a short distance ,so may need to find different loction to carp.any other info...let me know

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...did 2 days at Mequiniza last week...weather great (15 degrees) partly sunny/cloudy.I fished for Carp

1st day on Ebro had 4 runs...1 missed ,1 snapped off almost straight away(Cat) ,1 hook pull and the last 1 ,I had on for 50 yards...a good 30lb+ and it dived into a snag...lost it.This is the 1 thing I hate about the Ebro...the snags.

2nd day ,changed to fish an outlet of the Segre...had 8 runs and landed 4 carp to 31lb (almost a red letter day)...fantastic.All on Mainline fushion ,dipped.

Spoke to few other guys and not much out.My sense was that you needed to get out in the middle on the Ebro to get bites(on some swims a cast of 100 yards in needed)

Alot of Cat fisherman on Segre...don't know if much came out

cheers

i have just had four days in Mezuienza with Steve Wilcox of Cariba sol guided tours it was excelent Steve personaly stayed with us all the time and put us in some brilliant swims.had several fish up to 38Lb on boiles and halibut pelets. We had the best results rowing the baits out near the middle of the river. But lost a lot of fish in the snags.

Well done lads,glad to hear the Carp are still feeding.Ive had lots of reports that the Cats are and was hoping that would be good news for the Carp.

I'm going on the 19th March and will stay 10 days or longer if the fishing and weather stays good.Im a bit worried about snow melting and putting a lot of cold water through the system,John.

• 5 months later...

I'd say the lower lake around Mequinenza is a better bet for carp than the upper lake as they are a far higher average stamp. I went last year with Bavarian Guiding Service who do carp cheapies in the winter with decent accomodation and a decent powerboat thrown in.

I haven't tried Feb myself, but I had a blinding January this year, best fish 37lb 2oz, with loads of twenties. "Pellet alley" isn't quite as pellety as it used to be, as Colin B has moved his cat parties elsewhere. I found pellet over particles was the best bet last Jan.

If you get the chance, check the water temperature. If the Segre is running colder than the main Ebro, ditch it for the main river that gets a warm water influx from the hydro dam. A nice spot is right near the hydro dam where there is an area of shallow and still water - good on warmer days. My personal favourite is fishing on the confluence itself as you get the best of both worlds and can fish the Ebro and Segre (Deep and shallow) at the same time.

The Segre is richer in terms of silt / crays etc than the Ebro which is much deeper. Of course for a short trip, get someone to bait an area first!

I'm off again with Bavarian Guiding Service late October so I'll let you know how I did.

BTW I have a very basic map of a few features on the Ebro / Segre. PM if you're interested. :D

• 3 months later...

If you have a map of the features I would like a copy..let me know how i can get one...maybe a self adrees evevelope or by e-mail.

When you state your favourite place is on the confluence ...not sure where this is...is it in Mequaninza itself...and the area by the Hydra dam...this must be outside the town a bit?...where i would drive for a few miles?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

BTW I have a very basic map of a few features on the Ebro / Segre. PM if you're interested. :D

Hi, I'm heading to the Ebro for the first time at the start of May. Looking to fish the Segre too and would really appreciate if you could share that map with me.

Planning to start around the Ebro delta for a couple of days then move up-river. Looking forward to it :D.

hi if you drop me a pm here i can give you the holiday with everything included and i mean everything no hidden extras at all.

we are loactyed in a very peacefull area and no other anglers to bother you . we have set records so many times we have lost count