Canal in wigston

Hey up guys and dolls long time and all that jazz.

I was just wondering if anybody had any info about the canal in wigston which runs from the county arms and through the back end of wigston near countesthorpe. Does it contain any carp and if so what weight do they goto?? i have had a walk up and down but in all fairness i dont even know where to start and any info would be great :wink:

Cheers

Tight Lines

Willow :wink:

Hi

I don't know the canal that you mention, but a good place to try is where the canal boats are moored up, the carp will be used to a bit of noise so not easily spooked and they tend to get a steady supply of food from people throwing scraps over board etc.

Failing that any overhanging bushes, reeds, or trees are a good bet if you get the chance prebaiting is always a good bet if you can keep this consistant the carp will become used to feeding in that paticular spot and dont worry they will definately find it at some point ,its just a case of trial and error and keeping at it.

Any way good luck

hope this helped

I live quite close and cross the canal at the county arms every morning. Have walked up and down a few times when i had the dogs and there are quite a few nice looking spots although i havent seen any signs of carp.

Just about to start baiting a few spots on the way home from work myself, looking forward to the whole challenge.

I have had a few nice chub out from the soar just down the road in Whetstone, nip down on my lunch in the summer and get 45mins fishing in.

So does it really matter if i dont pre bait it as for one i dont have enough cash to do that at the mo :cry: What do you suggest i do in this sittuation have a walk down find a likley looking spot and try it or use stalking methods and try different spots through out the day :?: it might sound really stupid me asking these questions but i havent got the foggiest as this will be the first time i have ever atempted fishing a canal :shock:

Tight Lines

Willow :wink:

A big bag of maize is nice and cheap, and an Intant bait :wink:

can of sweetcorn is 31p at my local somerfield 2-3 of those a week is what i am planning. Maize would be the cheaper option (if you can cook it at home that is), keep meaning to get a sack.

I think just spending some time down there is your best bet, it does get busy in the warmer months so you might want to walk/cycle a little further afield.

I have had carp out to around 9-10lb albeit 8years ago.

Happy hunting

• 1 year later...

had carp out to 13lb from this stretch

from the county arms head down the canal toward's fosse park

they are in the lock that run's from the new estate to the big reed bed's at the end of that lock

usually find them under the trees near the reed's or in the reed's them selves

seen carp in here to mid 20's beatiful looking mirror red in colour

lot's of common's to mid double's

vitalin or maize to pre bait work's a treat

• 6 months later...

Hi guys I have just read through this thread and I am very interested as I have only lived in the Leicester area for the past 12 months and have only just started fishing but I am really enjoying it I am currently located in Eyres Monsell and have fished the canal at the back of the estate but sometimes spend 2-3 hours and come away only catched 1 or 2 small perch.

So I was wondering if you guys have got any update on your fishing experiences in this area.