Fishing at Swangey

Hi m8 .... Fished early part of this year a few times ... had a couple on Frank Warwicks Hi-Attract Spicy Shrimp and Prawn fished over a spod mix (basic stuff hemp, corn, pellets etc).

To be honest i found the place to be a bit of nightmare ....

People were very secret squirrel,

There isnt that many swims & they were stitched up 24/7 (i fished Jan & Feb) unless you went on the other smaller lakes.

The place is infested with rats.

A mudbath after heavy rain.

On the plus side i found the bailiff a nice guy (cant remember his name though).

I paint i grim picture i know ... things may of changed since earlier this year .... but i found much nicer fisheries in Norfolk. (IMO)

The baliffs name is Ray.

I fish swangey a lot it's good value for money at £10 for 24hrs.

The down side is it is very very busy there, no matter what time of the year or what day of the week.

The most productive swims are the point, the beach, the bins and clay bank.

You will find it's like bait boat city as well, and all the times I fished there people without boats get out fished by people with boats.

I must admit I do like it there and would probably fish it alot more then I do but I have a syndicate ticket else where, but I still get down to Swangey a cpl of times a month.

Guest Anonymous

The baliffs name is Ray.

I fish swangey a lot it's good value for money at £10 for 24hrs.

The down side is it is very very busy there, no matter what time of the year or what day of the week.

The most productive swims are the point, the beach, the bins and clay bank.

You will find it's like bait boat city as well, and all the times I fished there people without boats get out fished by people with boats.

I must admit I do like it there and would probably fish it alot more then I do but I have a syndicate ticket else where, but I still get down to Swangey a cpl of times a month.

Pezza, haven't been to Swangy since I was a little kid, is it still weedy? what part of Norfolk is it in as I may venture down that way soon also can you use 3 rods and is it a safe place to fish?

Cheers:)

No it's not weedy, it's manly gravel with the odd bit of sand and silt.

It's near Attleborough, yes it's safe.

I've never had any probs there but as I said it is very very busy.

Weekends the whole lake is full and most of the time there is people queing to get in a swim when the day anglers finish.

In the week it can veary between being half full to completely full.

• 3 months later...

i fish swangey as often as possible the first time i fished there i managed to pull out 6 carp the biggest of which was a 26lb 15oz common and a few small catties and bream i was only fishing with soaked pellet wrapped round an inline 3oz flat pear with a broken 15mm spicy shrimp and prawn boilie i have never used a bait boat and had the best catch over the period i was there have never been bothered by the rats and don't find it too bad when it rains i agree the people that go there are a bit quiet when it comes to giving help but if u lead the bottom and use a marker u can soon find where the bait needs to be the main bait that most people use is carp nuggets although i have never used them myself hope this has been some help to you

fished it once a couple of years ago i set up in my peg after trying to talk to some of the other guys for info, where there baits were as not to get in the way etc but was basically told to bogoff. then this guy came round and said i couldn't fish that peg as it was the match swim. what a load of bull there was no signs saying only to be used in matches etc. so i told him to bogoff and he said he'd call the bailif which he didn't strange that. anyway him and his mate kept trying to imtimidate me with their markers lol so i fished the near margin with corn and had a 22lb mirror and a 14lb common they blanked lol.

very clicky IMO i have never returned, the rat problem has to be seen to be belived i heard one guy slept in his car because he was so scared of them lol

• 2 years later...

Hi

i have fished swangy a fair bit as it is my local. its recebtly come under new managment who have made lots of improvements to the swims and such. which is good .

bait wise and tactics u dont have to use a load of bait but most people tend to down there i personally have cort on small amounts of bait, just using small pva bags/mesh.

p.s the carp are spawning dow there at the mooment .

any1 else fish there ? any tips and that ??

tight lines

luke mitchell

fished there once found most of the other anglers ok the only problem for me was the rats i fish with the bivvy door open and at one point ad 3 rats in the bivvy door and 2 just outside,the place is all ways full and its all ways the same ones some do get up set if your in the swim they want but just tell them where to go

i took a trip down there and the lake has seemed to be in better nice and the rat problem seems to have gone, the only prob;lem is that vthey are spawning at the moment so i would leave it a week or two.

best tactics i recon is simple boilie with a sall bag, they eat anything its where you cast that matters, just find the fish and cast to them

hope this helps

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

swangey is now £15 for 24 hrs, has a new baliff and is still always really busy. Abit expensive for somewhere that has only 2 portaloos.

From what the real regulars and the new baliff say there is around 70 decent fish in the main lake (20lb +) and around 10 30lbs maybe more.

quite afew doubles.

The pike lake has a smaller head of fish but they are less pressured than the others, however they are harder to find due to the lake shape and the unfishable areas on it. However their may be a fish close to 40 in their called the peach.

The match lake could have been one of the best around with lovely fish and a nice small bit of water to go at however they lost all the bigguns (mid 20s) and is now full of scabby looking singles and pasties, a massive shame.

Also they have had problems with immogrants, ive pulled out longlines all over the match lake.

Its funny really but if the owners had not stocked catfish swangey could have held norfolks biggest carp.

When i first started float fishing the record was around 32-35lb with a good head of nice fish and afew cats around mid 20s. Tails up used to test baits there with anglers like shelly etc.

Now 10+ years on the carp record is 37lb and the catfish record is past 60lb nearly 70 depending on who you speak to. This water is mad busy and gets filled in with good quality bait all the time so the carp should have gone through the 40s easily, as the lake is quite deep and quite large for the head of fish. Instead the cat population has grown in size and numbers and completely ruins the water.

Also keeping the carp weights down and preventing captures its a total shame.

they used to say you may have a chance of an encounter with a wells now you cant avoid the things.

Im off to Swangey on saturday night. After a long break from fishing im taking it up again. About 5 years ago i used to go regulary and fish the small lake from the island (nicknamed Rat Island!)

Is the small lake still as productive as it used to be? I have never fished the large lake and only use basic rigs and tactics so dont know if it would be worth trying this?