hooks and bait size

jimmer6666

can anybody tell me what the best hook size is for various size boilies i.e 14m , 18m ,20. im currently using size 6 korda wide gap b's for a 14m boilie and the same size hook for an 18m, people have told me that u need to get the hook size right for the size of boilie you are using, hope someone can tell the right way!!!!!!!!cheers

I never use larger baits than 14mm unless i'm targeting wels catfish. then i move up to size 2 hook with say 21mm pellet of large boilie. most of the time i think its best to keep bait sizes fairly small anyway, because you can fire out more freebies. During winter i would move boilie sizes down to 10mm or less then use hook sizes 8-10 and then less free bait too.:)

I use mostly size 8 Carp-r-Us Nailers and Centurions for the majority of my fishing. I fish 18 or 14mm Boilies with them quite comfortably.

One thing I will say is I worry more about Lead size to hook size than I do with Hook size and Boilie size.

Try picking up a size 4 hook with a 1oz Lead on the end of your finger.

Then try again with the size 8 hook and a 3oz lead , it should bring tears to your eyes.

That just demonstrates the efficiency of your hooking arrangement.

Guest Anonymous

I use size 7 hooks for my boilies of 16-22mm they work ok for me;) :D

When surface fishing I tend to use size 8 or 10 unless i'm using more than 2 mixers on the hair.

Remember all hook patterns vary in size;) :)

• 4 weeks later...