heavy leads vs light leads

carp_mad_man

Heavier leads are usually fished in conjunction with a bolt-rig for effective hooking purposes. I use very light rods (1.5 lb test curve) so at the most will use a 2oz lead, I will usually fish a 1.5oz lead in a PVA bag/stocking. I will also sometimes fish a 'confidence' rig set-up......... a light lead of say 1oz and a long mono hooklength of about 30 inches long. I would recommend fishing slightly different to the norm...... e.g. If the fish are used to short hooklengths fished bolt-rig style with a heavy lead, then you should try a lighter running lead set-up or vice-versa .... Hope this helps.:wink:

2.5-3oz korda inline square pear.

I'm guessing you use a semi-fixed bolt rig ??

I personally wouldn't use a lead that heavy but then again loads of people probably do. A really sharp hook is more important than your weight/lead anyway. Make sure you're hook is sharp and you're happy with your hooklength ..:)

It depends on the fish you are after and trying to achieve.

Say the fish are used to pulling for resistance from a 2oz Lead, you can either go heavier or lighter to disorientate them.

Light Leads are perfect for when you are trying to sneak your rigs into place without too much disturbance, but try to use them as Semi-Fixed as they are too light for Running Leads to get an effect (my thoughts).

Heavy Leads are great for Increasing the Bolt effect and making the hook get a purchase in Semi-Fixed mode. Try picking up a size 6 attached to a 1.5oz lead with your finger, you may manage it, but try the same again with a 2.5 or 3oz lead and it would probably bring tears to your eyes.

I use 3oz Leads for the majority of my Fishing, but use Running Leads with slack Lines. The Lead doesn't move on the take, so I get good instant indication.

Have a look at the Threads: Complicated Rigs and Running Vs Fixed for more information.