pop ups !

kevman

Taken from another thread on D rigs:

I use a D rig for my pop-ups if they need to be more than 1 1/2 inches off the deck. Anything that is popped up lower than that, I use a rig that is similar to the 'KD' rig that all the Korda boys keep plugging. The reason for this is so the hook is either flat on the lakebed or hovering neatly under the bait with the point clear. I don't want the point of the hook bouncing around on the lakebed especially if fishing over gravel.

The reason I don’t use a D rig for a bottom bait is mainly due to the fact that my simple knotless knot rig (no shrink tube or aligner as I use a curved hook :wink: ) works perfectly fine.

If I did feel the need to change over then I feel there are better rigs for presenting a bottom bait than a D rig.

Taken from another thread on D rigs:

I use a D rig for my pop-ups if they need to be more than 1 1/2 inches off the deck. Anything that is popped up lower than that, I use a rig that is similar to the 'KD' rig that all the Korda boys keep plugging. The reason for this is so the hook is either flat on the lakebed or hovering neatly under the bait with the point clear. I don't want the point of the hook bouncing around on the lakebed especially if fishing over gravel.

The reason I don’t use a D rig for a bottom bait is mainly due to the fact that my simple knotless knot rig (no shrink tube or aligner as I use a curved hook :wink: ) works perfectly fine.

If I did feel the need to change over then I feel there are better rigs for presenting a bottom bait than a D rig.

Its a good point about D-rigs, although I prefer them for Snowman presentations. (I probably said the same on that other thread as well :wink::lol: ).

My thought came about because of the problems I've been having with hookpoints dropping with standard presentations, either the shank mounted hair or even the weight of the hook pulling the point down with a shank mounted rig ring sliding back towards the eye.

Whether this is the same with all hooks being heavier towards the point I don't know and the pivot point :oops:

I had a thought and a look at a rig whilst I was 'playing' about with my pop up rigs in search of one that was able to hold in the majority of takes on the lake I was fishing.

When using a rig ring, I was having trouble which sounds like you describe - the hook pivoting at the wrong place along its shank?

My solution to this that may work in your situation - but not on the lake I was on :cry: was instaed of having a ring stop on the hook, glue a small pice of foam on it. After adjusting bits of the rig I settled for a cut off from a fake sweetcorn which needed less glue (almost not needed at all) and as I was using a yellow bait it was neat on the eye (not the most important thing I know)