Chod rig

tomdavpedley

• 4 weeks later...

i posted this thread a while ago and still havent got round to using this rig.

i am a bit sceptic on how it works. i would of thought that the fish would have quite a bit of slack from the lead core to the lead and this would make the short hooklenth pointless especially if you have the hooklink about 2 feet above the lead then there would be loads of slack and remove the bolt effect!

can someone whack a pic up of this chod rig please so i can see wot its all about

found 1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/19303462697.jpg&s=x2

That's it but the variation I use the beads are mounted sidewards onto shrink tubing which is tight to the leadcore instead of using float stops.One of the best rigs for fishing in weed,I'll be fishing one of these on 1 rod at least come end of the month :wink: ;) :wink:

Guest Anonymous

That's it but the variation I use the beads are mounted sidewards onto shrink tubing which is tight to the leadcore instead of using float stops.One of the best rigs for fishing in weed,I'll be fishing one of these on 1 rod at least come end of the month :wink: ;) :wink:

to rite neil thats why i was asking about it :D :D :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Surely if the rig is fixed at 1ft and the weed is 3ft deep your rig will be pulled into the weed by the lead? would it not be better to remove one of the beads [top one] so that the hooklink can slide up the leadcore and find its own depth ontop of the weed? [maybe a bit of pva foam on the hook to help]

only an idea, correct me if i'm wrong!?

Also if you did it the original way how do you know what distance to place the rig away from the lead? I dont know of many ways to test the depth of weed. I'm not knocking the rig i'm just not sure I 100% understand its use. Any opinions?:D

When your lead initially goes into the weed there is a very faint tap as the lead penetrates the top of it.This is very,very difficult to pick up but with time and practice you can feel it.

When you start to pull back and feel resistance,stop and move the rod tip forward.If the lead sinks again then the lead was not on the bottom as the only way it can lift is with a point of leverage i.e. the weed.

If you pull the lead up and down the weed the you can measure roughly the length of it from the donk at the bottom to the tap at the top.

Hence you can set your chod rig at near enough the correct depth.

Guest Anonymous

Ok mate thanks, i'm still convinced a free running style chod rig would be best so i may give it a try as i definatly want to be on top of the weed and not in or sticking out like a flag above it! I guess we'll find out if it works soon;)

• 2 weeks later...

Surely if the rig is fixed at 1ft and the weed is 3ft deep your rig will be pulled into the weed by the lead? would it not be better to remove one of the beads [top one] so that the hooklink can slide up the leadcore and find its own depth ontop of the weed? [maybe a bit of pva foam on the hook to help]

only an idea, correct me if i'm wrong!?

Also if you did it the original way how do you know what distance to place the rig away from the lead? I dont know of many ways to test the depth of weed. I'm not knocking the rig i'm just not sure I 100% understand its use. Any opinions?:D

wasnt this rig meant for distance casting into silt (i thought frank warwick used it on the redesmere for single hookbaits at range over silt) i wouldnt use this rig round weed if you payed me the back stops are adjustable to set to the depth of silt i think this works well with a longshank nailer apparently it sucks up against the lips when the fish takes the bait which should make them try and spit it out if it works on redesmere it should work anywhere

blankmaster

wasnt this rig meant for distance casting into silt (i thought frank warwick used it on the redesmere for single hookbaits at range over silt) i wouldnt use this rig round weed if you payed me the back stops are adjustable to set to the depth of silt i think this works well with a longshank nailer apparently it sucks up against the lips when the fish takes the bait which should make them try and spit it out if it works on redesmere it should work anywhere

blankmaster

Why not this rig is just as effective in weed as silt,just because it was orginally used for fishing in silt,it has other applications as well.Personally I think this is the best rig for fishing in weed as it allows you to fish a popped up bait above any depth of weed,keeping your hook/hookbait free to do it's intended job.