SUPER RIG

zander1

:!::!::!: How many of you have brought loads of rig bits over the years to tie"super rigs" with rig rings here, there and every where and fancy coated braids to find that you actually catch more on a simple knotless-knot hair rig tied out of 10-12lb flourocarbon like korda IQ xtra soft. This doesnt break the bank and is simple. too many people are worried about their rigs efficiency, when you should be more worried about the bait thats on it, and where you have cast it. right??? :wink:

Any thoughts or replys welcome :)

Guest andypalf

I've just started paying more attention to my rigs and actually went and spent about £20 at the weekend on all sorts of bits and pieces for my winter fishing.

I agree that the rig isn't the most important part of carp fishing and more often than not simple is best. But with a lot of waters under so much fishing pressure (as carp fishing get more and more popular) sometimes tweaking your rigs can give you an edge. Well that's what I'm hoping at least.

I'm sure that everyone on the forum will agree that location is the most important this as far as catching goes, but I think rigs are pretty important.

I am glad to here from you "andypalf" and I can see what your saying . I tweak my rigs if its needed in a particular circumstance, but i feel that the most of the time, a sharp hook on the simplest of rigs can catch more carp than a rig that has loads of fashionable bits on it weighing the hook down. i too, am somewhat of a tackle tart as i like messing around with the rigs and buying all of the fancy bits, but 9 times out of 10 ,in my fishing ,i catch more carp on simple rigs. i personally feel that the less there is on the hook the less chance there is of the fish picking it out from the crowd. i am a big fan of the "d-rig" mind as i like the way the bottom bait can hide the hook when its on the deck and the amount of movement the bait has when the rig is picked up. I don't use the "D-rig" for its ejection properties but I would like to think that the ejection properties are as good as we are led to believe. I find it hard to believe the bait is the only thing ejected using that rig, especially when using smaller hooks like we use on our winter rigs as the size of the "D" is limited. sorry any way , just my thoughts :):):)

Guest andypalf

It sounds to me like you've got the right approach (not that I'm in any position to say really). But it's a similar tactic to mine. This weekend is going to be my first "winter session". The water temperature has dropped a lot now so it's time for a change of tactics I think.

So depending on any useful bits of info the bailiffs might have for me on the day I'm going to go with a bright tutti pop up on a hinged fluorocarbon hooklink with a size 10 D-rig (I like keeping my pop-ups close to the hook, it seems to be working for me) and the other rod is just a bottom bait tipped with fake corn on a normal braid rig.

And for the first time I'm going to have a go with backleads!

Guest andypalf

It's very likely that if you catch after tweaking or even changing rig that it's down to coincidence. Unless you're Mr. Fairbrass with an underwater film crew I don't think there's anyway of knowing for sure.

I've said before about playing with rigs in the past, and on most occasions there are only a couple of things that need changing. The hair length and the hooklink length.

Look at where you hook fish, or if you lose any when playing fish consider where you are likely to have hooked it.

The perfect rig hooks fish normally in the middle of the bottom lip. If the hook is too far forward in the lip, or you are loosing fish then the chances are the hooklink or hair length is too short.

If the hook is far back in the bottom of the mouth, or has scraped down inside the mouth then the hair or link is too long.

Play with those things first to get your rig right.

From the hair rig the next step in presentation was by Rod Hutchinson and another Savay Angler Roger Smith(?) at the same time. Rod Hutchinson came up with an extending hair rig, and I believe it was Roger Smith who came up with the D-rig.

The D-rig is good for bottom baits and pop-ups as well.

The other thing that may need to be considered is also how the fish are feeding. With large beds of bait, then a shorter rig may be better. If the bait is spread further apart then a longer hooklink may be needed. Unfortunately every trip you may need to play around to find out what is right.

Even then you have your Lead set-up to take into consideration. For some of the answers on that look at Semi-Fixed vs Running leads in Advanced section.

Wouldn't you say (the people talking about tweaking your rig) that it's quite possibly just coincidence that you catch better with a slightly tweaked rig?
I think that the tweaking of the rig isnt just down to coinsidence or luck, but rather the confidence you have in knowing that your rig is lying properly, this way you know your self that its an efficient hooking rig that is very subtle and matches the area and situation that you are fishing in. the more subtle the rig the more fish you catch right??? i havnt had a winter session for carp yet this year (been spinning for pike a couple of times) but i had great sucsess last year using size 10 ssbp arma points and IQ xtra soft but with larger baits than most people are on. for the majority of last winters fishing i used 16mm homemade boilys (halibut flavour) and pva bags the size of a 50 pence coin with 6mm hallibut pellets, i also catapulted the odd boily here and there around the swim. Dont know if this will work on the waters that you all fish, but you never know, how do you go about your winter fishing??? :):):)

Try reading this thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9536.

Its called Complicated Rigs, and I started it in 2005. I must admit that it is Headache inducing at times, but there are some very pertinent points on it. It goes into Rigs, Lead attachment and more.

TBH my favourite bottom bait rig is fairly simple.

Long shank hook, fished blowback style, with a length of Rigmarole's Braid/Leader skin between the eye of the hook and the ring on the shank(to reset the hair if the rig is ejected), using Mantis(lovely stuff) and shrink tubing to turn the hook quicker. Nails 'em square in t'bottom lip! :D

If you don't get the gist, it's in CARPology this month, but I was using it for a while before then, got a mate whos 'in the know :D '

i used a rig like that a while back using the armaled fluro coated braid im not a big fan at the moment though, i think that its that bit to thick, it seems the less i put on my hooks the more im catching-nothing of great size mind but double figures. i do like the hooking propeties of that type of rig- i used the ssbp arma points thou not longshanks. thats why i put shrink tubing on them, i dont bother putting the tubing on long shank hooks as i think its just adding unessacery wheight and size making it easier to detect, do you think that that is the case ????? : :wink: ( ps using the korda stuff now but thats even thicker, cud'ov spent the dosh on summat else) :x:x:x

No, just normal shrink tubing as the line aligner

http://www.rigmarole.co.uk/products.htm

The braid/leader skin goes parallel to the shank of the hook, between the ring on the shank, and the eye of the hook. It's tricky to explain, but if you look in CARPology this month, it's in there

:x:( i should have looked there before i wrote any thing, ive basically just been a parrot. it would of saved me from typing a load. lol :wink:

Members, Times and viewpoints change. Members of forums come and go, so different members will not always see the "older" threads.

Although on many questions I may say use the Search facility, thing is on that thread, unless you knew exactly what you were looking for then you wouldn't have posted your question.

If you look at the Complicated Rigs thread then I would not say the BlowBack rigs are simple. The simplest rigs are Knotless Knotted with a Hair. From that you can change most things easily, the hooklink length or the hair length.

Then add into that the Mantis, that is not a "basic" braid. It makes Combination rigs easier to tie, so I would not class it as simple.

• 2 weeks later...