Naked Chod Rig

50 minutes ago, Slipmatt said:

This probably sounds stupid but when using naked chod set up using mainline straight through and I see people use a quick change clip to attach the lead isn't then classed as a fixed lead?

Yes and no.

I'll try to walk you through my view of naked Chod or Helicopter setups, over around 25-30years of fishing.

If you have a break-off with a helicopter setup, it is usually above the lead, and the rig.

The rig must be able to pass over any stop knot and any bead to come off the broken line. By having the lead fixed in place, on a quicklink it can do so, you DO NOT want to drop the lead.

Problems with naked chods and helicopters are using a swivel straight to the mainline, they get scratched and can eventually scratch and break the naked mainline, so that swivel needs to be on a proper helicopter bead, in simple terms a dumbell shape bead, or you need to use a stronger leader or tubing.

Which brings us back to the rig needs to come off the top end, and the leads needs to be fixed.