Mono vs braid

TheKingTench

1 hour ago, TheKingTench said:

Have been usign mono for all my hairs, however I just don't like how stiff the hair is. Have tried braid, but I find it tangles too easily.

I take it coated braid would give me the best of both worlds?

I use a few hair materials, continuation of the hooklink, (braided), Kryston Samson, Merlin, dental floss (buy unflavoured from supermarket rather than tackle shop), mono or even (got to say it, though it pains me😳🙄😆) Korda Armacord. (Somebody dropped a pack on the bank, I was lucky enough to find it❗️😉)

With mono, while I am happy with 4lb mono, I have found crayfish can cut through it with their pincers, so the others are crayfish proof.

As I use PVA almost every cast I hold the hair in place on the cast with the stringer or mesh. If I don't use PVA then a dissolving corn nugget around the hook holds the hair in place.

1 hour ago, TheKingTench said:

I just find a mono hair to be too stiff. Maybe it makes the bait appear unnatural?

You just tie the hair to the hooklink as normal?

Couple of ways I do it, but it does depend on the size of the eye of the hook, and what material you are using:

Mono and dental floss, even whipping thread, I can tie to the eye, whipping it down the shank, and going through an overhand loop to hold it on the shank where I want the hair to leave the hook, usually half way between barb and point. I then fit a line aligner or kicker with shrink tube.

It stops the hair moving, and protects the knots so they don't slip

The other way is I often use a sliding rig ring on the shank of the hook, which I stop from sliding round the bend by a mini rig stop, or 2 sleeves of mini shrink tubing, one on top of the other.

The advantage for me of the sliding ring, is I can change hair length, or material without cutting the rig down.

I think you should be able to see both methods

image.jpeg

image.jpeg