Choices Choices

Many people have the problem with trying to find a water to fish i was one of them stuck on day ticket waters as that was all that was in my area at the time ... i have now moved house and now i have 2 clubs with around 15 waters on each most within 30 min drive from me.

Some would say im lucky but i now have a massive headache after looking throu 30 odd waters and trying to decide what club to join and what lake to fish ... what makes it worse is there is very little information out there even on the net about the clubs and there waters.

maldon angling society and chelmsford angling association ... both there websites have no forum and there is the basic info about the lakes on there ... mostly outdated even the catch reports are far and few between.

The one lake i have been drawn to is ... howells in langford on the MAS club ... a 5 acre lake that seems to have a big head of 20+ fish judging from the picture gallery on there website but thats the only info i can find.

Basically its my first year back and i want a runs water to put a few fish on the bank and get back into the swing of things and enjoy my fishing again.

Ill get there one day.

Clubs these days are stuck between a rock and a hard place, they need members, and social media is a platform, but clubs are also old fashioned, and members or officials don't have time to update club websites, Facebook pages or forums.

The  other thing is that a lot of waters are kept off of social media, maybe club rules, maybe by consensus of anglers not wanting to give big fish away. If you do get into a club, then once you are in you may get more help. While I know what fish are in a local lake and the largest, I am not going to tell everyone about it as I have seen a large number of numpties in the area in the past few years, and when I say numpties, that is probably being polite. 

You are in the area as pointed out, for a number of reasonable clubs, CAPS, Kelvedon and District, Maldon, and Chelmsford. CAPS waters can get very busy, and Kelvedon's flagship is Silver End, but they do have others

On Sun Feb 05 2017 at 04:27, Big Common said:

Have you tried any of their FB pages?  I must admit that info on the biggest fish might not be easy to come by on these sites, but if you explain that it's a runs water you are looking for, then I'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction. You don't need to be a club member to use these FB pages... Once you join a club you will get to know a few anglers and gain more info in general about the area.

You are right about Howells, it has a good head of twenties and is not the hardest of venues to catch on. However, it's for this reason that it can get busy at times.

My advice would be to just join a club and get stuck in, none of them are mega expensive, so you can always grab another club ticket later in the season if your first choice isn't what you expected. If there is a little piece of paradise out there, you are more likely to stumble across it, rather than find out through a public forum.  Sounds harsh, maybe, but that's the way it's always been. "Olivers" and "Mersea" on the CAPS ticket are great runs waters. "Mersea" being the quieter of the two due to it's location, not being on the A12 corridor . Both offer lots of doubles, with a chance of a twenty.

All the best......

Thanx for the advice and i guess your right best thing to do is get stuck in you will only learn from bein on the bank ... im just one of thoes that likes to find out as much info about the places im going to fish so it will give me an edge when i finally get there ... reason im asking is i no late march early april they will be on the munch and i wanna maximise this spell and i dont want it to be wasted by going in pretty much blind .... yes you have the basic things at this time of year ... warm winds ... shallow bays ... finding the fish etc etc.

Heres a picture of howells pointing north.

The north east corner looks like it gets a few visits very worn banks and looks like its either been cleared or very deep.

Also the point would be a good place to start giving acess to fish that might otherwise be out of range with preassure from the bank swims.

Lastly the south west corner of the island looks like its very shallow and has a nice shelf mabey its my eyes.

Take a look at the pic and tell me what you see and points you would be looking to target.

Screenshot_20170206-172522.png