Coombs reservoir

I have lived down the road from coombs reservoir, Chapel, Derbyshire. For 23 years and have fished it dozens of times as it is so local, But only recently i have heard a few people raving on about the big carp in there.

I have spoken to 2 people now who have had Carp over 20lb.

I honestly diddnt think there were any in there.

Could anybody give me any info at all on this water??

Thanks Paul

P.s it is free fishing at the moment as well.

Where you parked your car last time must of been in a lay bye on the main road between whaley and chapel, there is a sailing club on that side to.

That is where everyone tends to do there night fishing, as the water is not owned by anyone (well British waterways own it but they dont enforce any rules or anything) you can pretty do what you want, there is always someone on,i walk round regular but alot of people are pike fishing. They have said that is very slow at the moment but i expect that is because the water is so full.

I think its a matter of finding the fish, if you do that then you will catch, the water is so big so that bit is quite a challenge, thats why i posted to see if anyone had seen any movent or heard any tips on where the fish lye.

Like your dad i have done alot of match fishing on there and that isnt to bad, had some good weights. It was only since last month that i have heard of these 50-60 carp which are apparently very old fish who fight like hell and are not below 20lb.

Sounds good to me, its just finding the damm things and hooking them. lol

I will have a walk round and keep you posted.

Paul

I've had all the fish worth catching from Coombs. What do you want to know? Why dont you just go out and fish the place, its a great spot and there are my favourite winds for Coombs coming up now...s/e. I used to fish it when Robin looked after it and soon after. Enjoyed my time there...very much.

Hi mate, i have been out and fished it, i cant tell you how many times i have fished it, i have had loads of decent bream,perch and roach out but only recently heard about the carp in there.

Could you tell me some locations to fish, i have tried down coombs road on the peg where it opens up near the green bench, casting towards the shallows, i have heard of these winds but how do you read them?

Also are there any methods are specific baits i should use for these carp.

Cheers mate

You can follow the Coombs fish by getting onto the ends of the new, warm or low pressure winds that cause white horses. Most of my photos show me holding up carp in the rain (low pressure) or with the tree tops beny behind me. It might have changed since I was there last but I doubt it..get..on...those...new...warm...winds, and you will do OK. I dont think there are 50 fish in there, more like 1/2 that amount. Got a phot of a very nice mid 20 linear and a fat mid 20 italian looking at me now. Go fish.

You can follow the Coombs fish by getting onto the ends of the new, warm or low pressure winds that cause white horses. Most of my photos show me holding up carp in the rain (low pressure) or with the tree tops beny behind me. It might have changed since I was there last but I doubt it..get..on...those...new...warm...winds, and you will do OK. I dont think there are 50 fish in there, more like 1/2 that amount. Got a phot of a very nice mid 20 linear and a fat mid 20 italian looking at me now. Go fish.

Thats great advice, thanks.

Any chance of having a look at the pics of the carp out of there.

When you say get on to ends of the winds do you mean cast with the wind or against it, It is such a big water i still dont have a clue where the best pegs are and where i stand a chance of catching.

OK.

Coombs lies South East/North West. Check out Windows Live (maps) for an aerial view of the reservoir. If a S/E wind picks up after a period of 'stale' weather or high pressure this will be a new wind. If it blows hard from this point it will be raising white horses by the time it gets to the dam corner/trout stream bank. If you find a nice area of open sand at about 10...20...30 and if you have a forth rod...40 yards out and bait with high attract ready mades or better still a food bait with good rigs, pinned to the deck, you WILL have them. If the wind then swings into the RED HOUSE, pack up and move and throw out towards the hump in front and you will have them again. Sooner or later you will loose them but in those couple of days you will be OK. Have you seen the reservoir down? I have photos of the place almost empty.

Sorry, I dont have a scanner. You will have to get your own photos :wink:

OK.

Coombs lies South East/North West. Check out Windows Live (maps) for an aerial view of the reservoir. If a S/E wind picks up after a period of 'stale' weather or high pressure this will be a new wind. If it blows hard from this point it will be raising white horses by the time it gets to the dam corner/trout stream bank. If you find a nice area of open sand at about 10...20...30 and if you have a forth rod...40 yards out and bait with high attract ready mades or better still a food bait with good rigs, pinned to the deck, you WILL have them. If the wind then swings into the RED HOUSE, pack up and move and throw out towards the hump in front and you will have them again. Sooner or later you will loose them but in those couple of days you will be OK. Have you seen the reservoir down? I have photos of the place almost empty.

Thats fine about the pics mate, i am hoping to get my own.

I am just a bit new to this fishing so the termonology is a bit hard to understand, do i sit facing the white horses as they break towards me, do i sit on the trout stream bank, i have seen the reservoir down years ago but i cant remember if i am honest.

Where is the RED HOUSE and what are food baits??

I really appreciate this help, i hope you dont mind.

OK.

Thats fine about the pics mate, i am hoping to get my own.

I am just a bit new to this fishing so the termonology is a bit hard to understand, do i sit facing the white horses as they break towards me, do i sit on the trout stream bank, i have seen the reservoir down years ago but i cant remember if i am honest.

Where is the RED HOUSE and what are food baits??

I really appreciate this help, i hope you dont mind.

Imagine the fish moving underwater as they are influenced by the wind, towards the downwind bank. This is where the water has acquired of of its fetch on Coombs. You might like to fish right against the bank as the waves crash into it or better still get up the bank a bit and find some soft sandy bottom with you marker float/braid. Watch for fish showing amongst the wave caps. The further you cast out, the deeper you will be so hedge your bets and fish each rod at separate distances from the bank.

A food bait such as active 8 or trigga will have been established by you and your daily visits to throw a pound or two into the most likely looking areas such as the sangs and down paast the green bench.

Coombs never struck me as a difficult reservoir but you must have enough Brownie points in with your Mrs and available time off work so you can drop everything to fish when the wind is right.

You can catch without using the wind but why bother? Fish a water much less influeneced by wind as well as Coombs, thats what I did and it was great fun and I always caught or felt I was in with a chance.

The Red House overlooks the bay off the dam wall opposite the Trout stream bank.

Lines on the deck though.....:wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have seen a dead carp at the side of coombs near the boat house a few months back, it was probably around the 6-7lb mark when it was living. They definately exist and im sure in all sizes, they must breed, I have also seen them rolling on the surface whilst I have been lure fishing for Pike through the reed beds. People are always there fishing and Ive heard a tale of a 38lb fish being caught recently, dont know if its true. Have a walk round and chat to a few people see what they say. Probably the sheer size of the place is against you as said by others. I would like to hear if you have any further advice or information. Anyone know of any other waters near by? Whats Bowden Hall Lake like?

Defo not a 38lb in coombs mate,

Been speaking to sum people and they are coming out but its a waiting game.

Gonna keep trying and will get there 1 day.

P.s walked round today and 4 lads were on there with 11 rods between them and they had not had anything.

No 38 in Coombs, sorry.

I doubt it myself to be honest, some lad told me they had been baiting a spot for 18 months or so. Like I said I doubt it is true, just thought I would mention it to guage any reaction. Im no expert or anything, that place is so huge Its hard to imagine catching anything in there at all!! When were the fish originally introduced to the place? Did they used to stock the reservoir at one time?

One summer a few years ago the reservoir reduced to almost nothing. A puddle of water of about 2 acres formed in front of the dam. The lack of rain that caused the levels to fall continued with a heat wave. All of the carp came out to sun themselves on the surface for hours each day. I didn't see anything bigger than I caught and I had them to mid twenties.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

well i went on sat night to try 4 some pike wen i arrived had a walk around both sides and there was a fair few people on with the pegs i wanted to fish all full, and as the water is so high at the moment there is a lack of decent pegs. anyway on the sunday morning it was flat no wind with hot hot sunshine so i decided to have another mooch around as i hadnt had a touch all night and wasnt on a good peg. i walked through the boats and down to the left theres a thin stretch of water which leads to some trees which are in the water, i had fished there a couple of weeks ago and suprisingly there was nobody up there, i walked close to the end and i was amazed! i saw at least 15 large carp some 20+ one swam past about 2 feet out a lovely common (got a video), needless to say i went and got my gear. by the time i had got back the wind had picked up couldnt see them too well, and the only thing i had was bread (warburtons sandwich rolls lol). did get a couple of them feeding but didnt have the time or the gear to really go 4 it.

i spoke to a guy who had come around from the field side he also saw all these fish he had been fishing around the corner all night and had nothing in fact all the people i had spoken to haddnt had anything appart from one guy who had had 2 perch. he also said he saw 2 polish ppl with a dead pike he had reported it to ea BUT PLEASE IF YOU DO SEE THEM BOOT EM 4 ME!