Covert Springs - Nottingham

There are 3 lakes at covert springs in nottingham near epperston including one specimen lake how ever they all contain decent size carp, even the coarse lakes contain up to 30lb carp according to the baliff and up to 40lb in the specimen lake.

if any one has any comments or tips about this water please reply

cheers

Bilse

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, this place is no specimen water in my opinion but it depends on what your looking for. I know a few lads who go for a bit of float fishing and catch plenty of fish upto low doubles but as for the bigger fellas they seem few and far between. I also keep hearing the same story from different sources about bigger fish going erm...missing shall we say. The so called specimen lake is really a puddle and if the stories are true I dont know what larger stock is left. If your looking for a water with some nice fish in have a look at Sapphire nr Newark.

Hope this helps.

Damo.

Generally you need to book to get on in on a weekend, but if you phone the owners Graham and Tom they will help you out. Its not really easy, but a few of us have fished it over the last few years and have done ok with fish up to 22lb. It has loads of features and some of the commons in there are really nice fish. All I would say is avoid spodding big beds of bait. Sticks, bags anything small is best and stay off maggots and particles unless you like bream!! The pegs on the track bank have good margins that produce a lot of fish so dont always look for the islands automatically. The number is 01636 821131, hope this is useful and go get stuck into em mate.

Damo

• 2 years later...

hi i went to covert the other day and i caught a 15lb in a few minutes then a had a huge fish on i eventually got it in my landing net but snap my net snapped the fish was that big . i hooked it again and a few secs into the fight snap line went (16lb line) it was huge a hooked another one got it right near the edge and my other landing net was too small so i called the guy across from me to help but by time he got over snap i was f ing and blinding trhew my rod lol but i caught a ghost carp of 12lb it made my day lol my review 10/10 top notch go for it mate use floating bread top notch on specieman lake and prawns for little ones but caught my ghost on prawns good luck send me a reply and let me know how u get on the only downfall is all the rules and cost £10 it is a great fishery great nature and animals too :D

Mate, if you're snapping 16lb mainline you're doing something wrong, end of story, as I'm sure most here will testify - you don't really need to be using washing line. Especially at Covert Springs, there aren't any monster fish and no real snags to worry about (at least there weren't when I fished it in the early 00's).

My PB is 28.5 lb, landed on 10lb mainline (maxima). I have lost count of the number of mid-doubles that I have landed on 6lb Maxima.

Also, if you're snapping your landing net you need to learn some basic skills, no net will cope with lifting a decent fish out of the water, the arms will snap. It's just physics. Lift by grabbing a good handful of net.

Of course, if you meant that your net handle snapped then what the hell were you doing? Trying to lift the fish clean out of the water using the handle?