Hinge stiff rig

bones46

I've done a search and can't find an answer to this- would appreciate any advice.....

I like to understand what I use and why (or if) it does what its supposed to and although I understand the principle of the hinged stiff rig and the materials used to make the hooklink, I'm not sure what the "boom" is supposed to do and therefore, what material should be used and how long / short / varied it should be.

I assume it's purpose is to push the rig away from the lead.........thoughts please......

The main reason I use a boom like in the hinged stiff rig is to allow the rig to 'reset' itself if picked up. I have stated before on here that I think my rigs get picked up and ejected more than I care to imagine.

If this happens with a stiffish boom, the popup and short rig section should float down nicely with no tangles (hopefully)!!!

It is then fishing effectively ready for the next pick up that will hopefully prick the fish enough to gain a chance of hooking it.

Imagine it sat on the lake bed and pulling the bait up then letting it go and settle on its own.

The main reason I use a boom like in the hinged stiff rig is to allow the rig to 'reset' itself if picked up. I have stated before on here that I think my rigs get picked up and ejected more than I care to imagine.

If this happens with a stiffish boom, the popup and short rig section should float down nicely with no tangles (hopefully)!!!

It is then fishing effectively ready for the next pick up that will hopefully prick the fish enough to gain a chance of hooking it.

Imagine it sat on the lake bed and pulling the bait up then letting it go and settle on its own.

Thanks Nige- very helpful. So the boom as stiff as the hooklink and maybe a couple of inches longer?

I know it's seen as primarily a pop up rig, but a bottom bait should also work given the difficulty in ejecting the bait and the likelihood of pricking the fish when it blows it out- would you agree?

In fact, a heavy bottom bait might be even more difficult to spit out without it pricking?

I'm editing and thinking aloud here :?

I very rarely use it but if I do, the boom is say 6inch long and made out off a stiff coated braid with obviously, none stripped back. The chod section is just that, one of my chods which average around 2.5 inches.

I have never used it with a bottom bait but can't see why it's not worth you giving it a go?

I've done a search and can't find an answer to this- would appreciate any advice.....

I like to understand what I use and why (or if) it does what its supposed to and although I understand the principle of the hinged stiff rig and the materials used to make the hooklink, I'm not sure what the "boom" is supposed to do and therefore, what material should be used and how long / short / varied it should be.

I assume it's purpose is to push the rig away from the lead.........thoughts please......

For boom materials I'm still old fashioned, and use Amnesia. It works is stiff enough and as an added bonus, the black fits in nicely over silty lakebeds, and the clear is just that, clear :wink::lol:

The black is slightly softer and more supple than the clear.

My usual for boom sections is the 20lb, but occasionally I resort to 30.

One thing I will say with Amnesia, always check and double check your knots, a 3 turn blood knot works to a swivel, but I still prefer that Uni/Grinner knot for security.

Amnesia can be a pig, as you will need to check it almost every fish.

I believe that Tim Paisley was using the hinged set-up with a silkworm mini hooklink section and a bottom bait.

Thanks Nick.

I've got some Amnesia (can't remember where I put it, ho ho) but it's years old so will give it a vigourous testing.

I'm using ESP bristle filament 25lb for the hooklink, so may even use that for the boom as well.

I like the boom to have a bit of ply in it so that it has a chance of settling if over a stone/twig etc??

Thanks Nick.

I've got some Amnesia (can't remember where I put it, ho ho) but it's years old so will give it a vigourous testing.

I'm using ESP bristle filament 25lb for the hooklink, so may even use that for the boom as well.

I like the boom to have a bit of ply in it so that it has a chance of settling if over a stone/twig etc??

I tend to use a loop knot if joining the Amnesia to a standard swivel, or use a ringed swivel. I think that in most cases it sets down nicely on the lakebed with that.