Normanhurst, East Sussex

Just moved to St Leonards and looking for places to fish locally. Seen Normanhurst on the Hastings and Bexhill ticket and the fish look stunning. Anyone fished it or got any info on it?

Cheers

Hi Jonno

I'm a member and have fished it plenty of times. Lovely, natural lake about 1 1/2 acres in size. Plenty of fish in there, the carp run to just over 20 and give a good scrap. A good head of decent sized Tench in there too along with some fair Perch. It's quite a trek up through the woods to get to the water though, so my advice is travel light!

No night fishing but you can fish from 4am until dusk.

The lake isn't very deep, and there is a shallow bay at the far end, ideal for a bit of stalking if you fancy. Last year it was quite weedy, you had to pick your spots pretty carefully, I haven't been this year yet, I keep promising myself to pop up there but something else always crops up. I have been told that the weed isn't quite so prolific at the moment. You used to have to buy an additonal "day ticket" (only cost a £ or so) to fish it. This was not done as a money raiser but just so the club knew how many were fishing it at any given time. They dropped this last year as an "experiment" and as far as I am aware it hasn't been re-introduced.

I have also taken a mate up there, guests are allowed, I think the price of a guest ticket is about £8.00 a day. You can buy one of these from one of the local tackle shops.

They chopped a load of the trees down up there a couple of years ago, and some say that the lake has been ruined because of it. The far bank is devoid of any greenery now, and is very exposed. It's not a particularly nice bank to fish if I'm honest.

There aren't that many swims so if you plan on going on a week-end, make sure you get there nice and early or you will end up with a duff 'un. During the week it's a lot quieter, I tend to have Wednesdays off of work and have sometimes been the only one fishing all day.

Because of it's location it is nice and quiet, no noise from passing traffic or hoards of people walking by. The odd dog walker but they really are few and far between.

If you want any more advice or fancy a session up there one day give me a shout. I can also offer you some advice on other local day ticket waters if you want.

I am off to Stream Valley Lakes in Crowborough this coming Wednesday. A nicer water you would be hard pushed to find.

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob. Would be happy for any advice I can get. Been told by one of the tackle shops in Hastings to give Rye Nook a try.

Looking to do a midweek day next week at Normanhurst and give it a try. Are there any other waters on the Hastings ticket that are any good, otherwise might not be worth me picking up the ticket. Am happy to try the rivers, did a lot of smaller river fishing back in France.

Got to be honest, I'm not a "river" man. I have only ever fished at Normanhurst or Harmers.

Haven't fished Rye Nook, understand it is supposed to be reasonably good, but we are spoilt for choice for day ticket waters around here.

As I say, I am going over to Crowborough to fish at Stream Valley if you fancy it. One of the nicest day ticket waters I have fished.