Needle knot and helicoptor

gobstopper

I plan on starting to use the needle knot to join my lead core to my main line. Do i remove the lead before starting the knot or leave it in?.

Also i have seen helicoptor rigs on lead core incorporating a short lenght of rig tubing to mount the beads and swivel on. I was thinking to increase the lenght of the rig tubing to say a foot and a half to help protect hte fishes flank from being cut. Does anyone know how this would effect the rigs ability to shed the lead core as i would'nt want to create a death rig.

Ant help would be great cheers

Dave

You have to remove some of the Lead Inner, enough to tie the Knot.

Leadcore is one of those things I am having Grave doubts on in Fishing now. If a breakage occurs above the Knot then there is no way that a Carp can get a Slack line at all, there will always be some tension in the Hooklink. With a Helicopter Set-up then the Rig MUST be free to slide off the Leadcore.

I would suggest that you have a look at some Dumbell Beads, Cox and Rawle used to make them. They went on the Line/Tubing and the Top Bead could slide off allowing the hooklink to come free. If not then as long as the Top Bead can slide off the Tubing then it should be free to slide off the Leadcore over the Needle Knot. The worrying thing is the Beads ability to slide off the Tubing. Rubber Beads may help, but even then there is still some friction which may prevent it coming free.

There are some Helicopter Set-ups sold, I would look at the Instructions on them and see if they are suitable.

IF ANY DOUBT AS TO ITS SAFETY THEN DO NOT USE LEADCORE!

Yes, I did shout that on Purpose

Cheers mate

Im really in two minds whether to use lead core or not. Their seems to be alot of cons outwieghting the pros. I did think to smear some sort of lubrication on the rig tubbing above the bead, such as petrolium jelly as this is not water soulably, but im not sure if this will let off unnatural smells that could spook the carp.

The reason im thinking to use it is that i will be rowing out my baits some times so i will not be able to use a flying back lead. I have thought of changing my main line to a sinking braid, but as i do not have so much experiance of braid, im not so confidant to use it and im not sure what breaking strains to use, though i know it would defently help with bite detection at long range.

I might try some of this sinking rig tubbing if i can find some and just get out and give a few things a try.

Thanks again

Dave

Cheers jay

I've read quite a few of the previous threads on lead core, but i had'nt found anything about how to protect the carp from the "cheese wire" cutting effect of the lead core, which is what is bothering me about using it, but if an extended lenght of rig tubbing on the lead core would impead the the release of the leader then i would'nt like to use that either.

I recon i will try to get this extra heavy tubbing and give it a go. How would you rate this stuff?

Dave

Guest Anonymous

Morning Dave, you're up early whereas I'm off to bed having just done a 13hr night shift :roll:

Personally I would use one or the other but preferably none!

I use leadcore 'very' occasionally at a local day ticket water where the carp are very wary so it's simply used to hold the line down whereas a gravel pit would require tubing to protect your line on bars etc.

My local lake is silty & I've had better results on plain old flouro but some would argue that you will get a greater 'cheese wire effect'??

It's personal preference & whatever suits the situation really :?

Just a thought, I believe (doesn't mean to say it's true) that a couple of foot of tubing will help stop popping the scales off fish cause a thinner line can of course get under the scale of a mirror. (or other for that matter)

Jay

Diffrent time zone mate, but it was still early.

Those night shifts dont sound good, but it gets the cash in. Used to do them my self.

I think that i will just have a play around with diffrent set ups on each rod and see what the results are like.

The lake i will fish this year I have never fished before. Its one of the better lakes in sweden for carp, but its big and their is some deep silt. Nothing like back home, its got to be 2-3 miles long, but there are big carp in their, though nobody really knows who big the population is, but i found out that they were first stocked back in the eairly 50s. So their old and i guess wise. I just got to find out how cunning I'll have to be.

Cheers for the advice and i would agree with you about the rig tubbing its gotta help

Dave

Cheers jay

I've read quite a few of the previous threads on lead core, but i had'nt found anything about how to protect the carp from the "cheese wire" cutting effect of the lead core, which is what is bothering me about using it, but if an extended lenght of rig tubbing on the lead core would impead the the release of the leader then i would'nt like to use that either.

I recon i will try to get this extra heavy tubbing and give it a go. How would you rate this stuff?

Dave

The cheese wire effect from leadcore is far less than that of braid or even some mono/fluoro leaders.Fish can and do quite often twist and turn during the fight but leadcore will do minimal if any damage.Problem with tubing is expelling all the air and getting it to sink,either putty or leadwire will do the trick along it's length.As for results I fished leadcore against tubing and I had more fish on the leadcore,same spot,same bait. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

The lake i will fish this year I have never fished before. Its one of the better lakes in sweden for carp, but its big and their is some deep silt. Nothing like back home, its got to be 2-3 miles long, but there are big carp in their, though nobody really knows who big the population is, but i found out that they were first stocked back in the eairly 50s. So their old and i guess wise.

Dave

If you need a "bank buddy" don't hesitate to PM me. I've been to Sweden a few times & will be pleased to visit again, as the saying goes... "have rods, will travel" :wink:

Cheers neil

Im gonig to give lead core and the wighted rig tubbing ago ans see what works for me.

Jay

Im in the south of sweden. If you want to come over always happy to help another britt and the fishing places here are just stunning even if there are'nt so many carp, but it worth it when you get one. you can mail me on dave1r3@hotmail.com. No worries