snetterton gravel pits

k3mpy

i'm trying to find info and telephone numbers about this place but it seems no-one knows about it. My dad's mate used to be a bailiff there about 10 years ago. The same guy owns it (James???) it is members only i think and not too expensive. Other than that i think i'm going to just drive down there soon and ask.

Try asking about them as Bert Wrights Pits!

Got a few bits and pieces about them that is years old, but it may help

Tel:01842764312 or 01953498289

It did used to be Day Ticket, but with No Night Fishing except by Special Arrangement, so this may have changed.

Nick

Just today spoken to James Cook who runs the fishery. It's basically £250 for whole year. The mallard lake is best stocked with carp and he informs that during 2006 the first 40lb carp was caught. There are also big carp in the swan lake but fewer of them. He also said he wasn't 100% sure of what was actually in there as the pits are quite large.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of. ..

but he did say that most carpers are quiet secretive and competitive. He did suggest that they could be caught by other means than just boilies on the bottom so zigs nd surface fishing might be worth a crack if the conditions are right.

He also said that he is sure other fish have been caught which he didn't know about.

• 1 year later...

Careful who u speak to, the anglers at snetterton are the weirdest bunch of inbreds. everone will speak no more than a sentence all will tell u its fully booked and a huge list is in force (lies). There are some large fish in there mainly the top lake, but the lower (swan) has a number of uncaught fish as it used to be the main carp lake. the fish in mallards are from swan.

Nice lakes gin clear very overgrown with a cpouple of other smaller float ponds

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey, ive been a member for around 5/6 seasons and i feel llike a need to reply to some of the commemts made...

the lakes r a haven for rare n beautiful wildife so show some respect....

show regulars respect n we`ll soon put tha kettle on...

also the owners are aware of current litter, noise n toilet problems...

the problem has only arisen this season so the culprits are known and are being observed.

clean up or clear of...

im not just a whinger.. so i`ll give ya some helpful advice

get yaself a map and a pair of polaroids... peace

• 2 months later...

Recently a 40lb er has been caught for definite. My old man knows someone fishing who found that out. Not surprising really as it is a huge place. Bit like a very large swangey lakes.

Tempted in the future.

If Shelley gets on their you all know which bait to get on!! He baits up with tones of Nash Squid liver or Amber attract.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I see there is the odd post on here regarding Snetterton pits. I fished these lakes for around 10 years and there are some very big fish.

The Mallard is the best carp lake but the swan has a good number of fish incuding some big bream and some big pike - i had a pike over 30 lbs from there. There a several smaller lakes including the the Grebe and kingfisher, the kingfisher is seriously overgrown which is a massive shame as there used to be alot of carp in this lake, there still is but they are hard to get to and the fish are smaller but great catching - most fish go between 6 - 12 pounds some bigger. Real great fun to get off the top on crusty bread or dog biscuits and sweetcorn and bolies work well on the bottom, even though fished based ones seem to be slow. Again i have seen a good pike in here over 20lbs.

The swan is pretty beep and when i was younger we used to catch bream off the bottom and sometimes we could cach 20 or 30 fish over 6 lbs.

I have caught fish off the mallard with bread but you have to be very patient as the fish are very cautious, there are a few gravel bars running accross the lake and you can get fish on these. I have not fshed it now for 3 years but may pop buy and go again soon as its one of those places where you could go a month catching nothing or catch 10 fish in a day and some that will leave u smiling from ear ot ear.

The guy who runs the place is a nice guy and is not a big fan of moody carp anglers, there is no limit on season tickets, so dont swallow that crap.

So i hope this anwsers some questions, and give a bit of a insite in snetterton pits.

{edited to remove insult}

• 3 years later...

I had fished this many years up until about 2004, I grew up close and spent most weekends there as the owner kindly gave us a season tickets in return for mowing lawns and cleaning up a bit.

Mallard -

Some big carp in here, defo 40+ can be had. There are some big gravel bars and island's on the lake and from a tree (be careful) you can often see them and see the fish moving round them in the summer. The fish here are VERY wary and i have never managed to get one over 15lb off the surface here.

There are also Islands on the lake, and deep spots around these island's can be found so make sure you plumb it well. ITs a stunning lake, don't get caught up fishing on the road side near the river, over the back there is one or 2 very good swims. You might even be able to see where i made it a lot easier to climd one of the trees!!

Swan -

I had a 28lb pike out of here in 1998, it was a monster i was 16 and i was on my own, i didn't know what the hell to do to be honest i was gob smacked! Again there are some big fish in here but it can be VERY hard as its huge.

I used to go down there in an evening and catch bags of bream of 6lb plus, there are carp in here but i never did get round to going after them. I have friends who have and who have caught, they claim they seem to stick together and once your on the fish its likely you will pick up more than one.

This lake for me was all about the pike fishing - i used to go and get 5 fish in a day. Lots of strong hardly caught fish in here!

The forgotten lake - The Kingfisher. As you enter its to the right through the woods - follow to river if u cannot find it.

I went recently and looked at it, its very over grown but i put a few dog Biscuits out and i could hear them taking them in the reeds. The lake used to be stocked with a large number of 6lb to 12lb fish, most of those would be heading towards there 20's now and there was a few that size in there when we where younger. We used to catch them on sweetcorn mostly but we started to use boilies and pop ups swell. Sometimes we would get no fish in a day some times we would net 12 or more. Bread off the surface works well and i have had some of my best days just lapping that lake with a rod and loaf of bread. Lots of small fish in here including some stunning roach and rubb going to 2lb. We also had a 19lb pike out of here.

On a side note - Don't ignore the river, we had some good bream and chub to 5lb along the river the follows the lake. To be honest it looks a bit shallow last time i looked.

Other lakes also have fish in, i remember the Grebe was very good for smaller pike. but i never really fish it. Also there was a rumour of some carp in the lake next to the Grebe, but it was very good for decent sized tench.

Hope this helps some people, from what I'm aware its still owned by James Cook.

good luck

• 8 years later...