Warning Before Booking a UK Owned French Venues.

johnhere

The French are at long last cracking down on UK owned venues that are not registered as a French business in other words they do not have what is known as a SIRET number and are therefore operating illegally.

Anyone fishing one of these venues is also committing an offence and if the venue is raided while you are there you will be told to leave and I add with a good chance without your tackle.

These venues if raided will also be closed on the spot and any person that has booked stands a good chance of loosing any money paid.

In view of this it is vital before booking your trip to France to make sure the venue is French registered.

Some do show the SIRET number on their web site but it is not a legal requirement to do so.

If you cannot see one then before booking ask if they are French registered and ask for their SIRET number.

If they cannot give you this number then my advice is to stay well away.....you have been warned.

I have confirmed the above with our French accountants.

John

There is a certain amount of gossip going around at the moment.

It is illegal to run any business in France without a siret number and it is illegal to use those services. There is a lot of bad feeling between Brits who run bona fide businesses (not necessarily fishing related) with correct qualifications, tax payments etc and those who work "on the black".

There is a culture of denouncement in France. If you report someone to the tax authorities for tax avoidance and they are able to retrieve that tax, the informer gets a small percentage as a reward. This can lead to family feuds that rattle on for years.

The other bit of gossip is that there is a lot of discussion on forums about fish stealing. Apparently a lot of fish have been taken from public waters and used to stock British owned fisheries. This has got up the nose of a lot of French carp anglers. Our local water bailiff told me that, because I was British, I ought to be aware that I must kill any carp before taking from the lake. (many locals eat them!).

If you mix this little lot together there is potential for some rather unpleasant situations.